DAY 6 Castello di Verrazzano


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany
April 18th 2012
Published: April 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Bobby and GlennBobby and GlennBobby and Glenn

These trees bear allyear.
This morning I actually got up early and got a little exercise, a walk/run for 2 miles. I saw one jogger. People here don't seem to need to jog; they walk so much that you don't see much obesity.

At 10, we met our new driver/guide...Leonardo (apparently a popular name here) for the drive to the Castle Verrazzano in Chianti. First we made a stop in Greve which is the capital of Chianti and this region seems to specialize in wild boar.

At the Castle Verrazzano, we toured the winery which produces the great Chianti Classico wines. After the tour, which was not only about wine, but also about the olive oil they produce, we sat down for wine tasting and lunch. We began with bruschetta, then had a vaiety of cold cut type meats including those made with wild boar, then we had a penne pasta dish with a topping of special seasonings. Our next course was a selection of meats including boar ribs, beef and sausage. Finally we had a dessert wine in which we dipped our biscotti. We sampled several of the wines during the meal.

Leonardo then drove us back to Florence. Our hotel was once a private residence where George Eliot lived. We returned to our rooms and were able to take a nice nap (finally) Bobby and I ventured out around 7. It was quite chilly and drizzling again. We walked around some shops, got a bit lost, then used our map app on the phone to get back to the hotel. We walked a bit more and had a somewhat lighter dinner. When I did not finish my pasta, the restuarant owner wanted to know if I didn't like it. I explained we had a huge lunch with wine, hence our simple dinner with water.

We are back in the room listening to the one English station on TV. We saw some beautiful countryside today-lot of vineyards and olive trees. I hope the pictures give you an idea of what we saw. By the way, sometimes the captions are not matching the pictures and I am not sure why. However, those who know me will just be happy I am managing to get photos on the blog.

CIAO from Frances and Bobby


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Day 6   Wine Country 2012-04-18 021Day 6   Wine Country 2012-04-18 021
Day 6 Wine Country 2012-04-18 021

Fabio serves me expresso....delicious


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb