Day 5 of Michal & Chantal's Honeymoon


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany
June 8th 2007
Published: June 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Santa Maria della PieveSanta Maria della PieveSanta Maria della Pieve

Such narrow streets - it was impossible to get a frontal shot
A typical, bustling town nestled in east Tuscany, Arezzo, the province and the city, is one of the more uninspiring yet wealthier cities in the region, with scores of goldsmiths and upscale boutiques, all hoping to secure our money. It does have strategic importance, as it sits on top a hill at the confluence of three valleys. Some of the main features include the unrestored ruins of a Roman amphetheatre, attached to an archeological museum, the Church of Santa Maria, with its towers of 100 holes, and the large central piazza. Just a word about the Roman ruins - originally built as an Etruscan settlement it fell into Roman hands in 294 BC. Unfortunately the walls of the original village were plundered for the construction of Sienna’s original walls and churches. Allied bombing during WWII took its toll also.
Santa Maria della Pieve, with its tower of 100 holes, is one of the splendid examples of Romanesque churches in Tuscany. The Tower of 100 Holes was so named because of the filigree pattern of arches that pierce the belfry. Stop on via Garibaldi for a rest and coffee at Sandy’s. Wait a moment, Sandy’s is a brand of coffee not
Roman Amphetheatre RuinsRoman Amphetheatre RuinsRoman Amphetheatre Ruins

Really not much to see, unfortunately.
a café - sorry.
Follow the signs to the square, about 1 km through narrow streets and public gardens. What a surprise, with just a little frustration, to realize the Piazza Grande was no more than 100 metres behind the Church. We were walking around it all the time. This is also the home of the oldest and largest antiques market in Italy. It was here we bought a lovely print of Arezzo Province and a frame for the folks at Foresteria.
Just before we left Arezzo, we stopped at Caffe Vasari for lunch, Piazza Grande 15. Although they were out of much we requested, the chef was kind enough to prepare a ‘little feast’ for us. Ah, Arezzo, you do have redeeming qualities.
Now it’s time to leave La Foresteria -- we’re looking forward to the rest of our journey and sad to be leaving this jewel, where we have been treated so well. Little did we know what was facing us.
We need to share our thoughts about the people we have met so far.
Chantal: They try very hard to help and to please; they are very warm, alive, expressive; what would happen, if we tied their
Piazza GrandePiazza GrandePiazza Grande

Lunch was the best part of our visit.
hands down -- could they communicate with us?

Michael: These are an open, trusting people - full of la joie de vivre. Don’t you love how accepting they are? I wonder how long it would take, if we lived here, to be accepted? I guess we’d need to learn Italian first, eh?



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Public GardensPublic Gardens
Public Gardens

This is a shot of the entrance to some poorly maintained public gardens - the graffiti is incredible here.


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb