Day Three of Chantal and Michael’s Belated Honeymoon


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany
May 26th 2007
Published: May 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Old City WallThe Old City WallThe Old City Wall

We love the way people have built their modern homes into the ancient city wall. People live in the tower.
Day Three
This morning we were met by the bakery truck, as it made its morning rounds. Breads, sticks, croissants (Chocolate!). How do keep from gaining deliciously sinful pounds?
Today is Monte San Savino. Monte San Savino, nestled in the hills about 20 Km north east of Alberoro, the location of La Foresteria, was a thriving community in the Middle Ages. We came here to see the tower of 100 holes, attached to a quaint church and the remnants of our first synagogue.
The synagogue we found easily and, unhappily, alone, down a small alley, room for one small car on original cobble stones. Here it was, a nondescript building -- the only visible sign of worship activity a small plaque carefully screwed to the stone wall. What was once a much used house of spirituality was now a set of condos. After digging around, we learned the synagogue was well used until the French Revolution, when locals used this uprising as an excuse to force the expulsion of Jews from the town.
After viewing the tower and church, we decided to head to the main piazza. Following the signs, our route took us through the old city with high
Entering the City through the GateEntering the City through the GateEntering the City through the Gate

This was a particularly lovely entry into the old city. Chantal has a thing for old doors.
walls, very narrow streets and busy chattering neighbourhoods. Finally we arrived. Entering the somewhat small, relatively empty square, except for the town offices, we discovered it was just a building’s length behind the church we were visiting an hour ago. Our delight spilled into laughter as we discovered our naiveté had done us in again. Chalk up another one. At least the gelato was exquisite.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

The Synagogue of Monte San SavinoThe Synagogue of Monte San Savino
The Synagogue of Monte San Savino

Unobtrusive, as are most synagogues, it sits in a small alley, with only a sign to identify its location.


Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb