Siena


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Siena
August 1st 2009
Published: August 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

My third day in Italy (although it felt like the first real day to be on a normal schedule) we left our house in Montegrotto Terme to go camping for 2 weeks in the Tuscany region. And wow, we had a tiny car to fit beach stuff, clothes' bags and food for 5 people. I am a small person, but even sitting smushed between two car seats was a bit tight for me.

Cecilia being so thoughtful, she decided we must stop at Siena on the way to our campsite because she wanted to show me around one of her favorite cities, and this allowed a much needed break in the car ride.

Siena (pop. 50,000) has a gorgeous medieval centre and many of those cobblestone, narrow streets that we picture in a romantic Italian city. We walked along these streets, doing some window shopping and then bought the two dessert-snacks that Siena is famous for, called "panforte" (almonds, honey and fruit tort) and some delicious almond cookies (don't remember their name).

Making our way through the tiny streets that bustle with people, cars and motorcycles, we spent an hour in a beautiful cathedral that is considered one
Il CatedralIl CatedralIl Catedral

Impressive Gothic cathedral
of Italy's best Gothic churches. I'm not a very religious person, but the hard work and time that goes into some of these European structures always takes my breath away. I really liked the look of the black and white layers of marble for pillars, and the decorated gold-leaf ceiling was definitely impressive.

Lunch and an ice cream took place on the edge of the bowl-like Piazza del Campo. This is actually a famous city centre in Italy that was used just this past Sunday for the bi-annual horse race where the 9 neighborhoods of Siena compete with their best horses and riders to race around this tight circle 9 times. Andrea told me that the winning place holds much prestige for that neighborhood and once the race lasted as long as 3 days! This race is a historic event, having occurred for centuries.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Piazzo del campoPiazzo del campo
Piazzo del campo

Where Siena's horse race takes place twice a year.
GelateriaGelateria
Gelateria

Yes, endless flavors of gelato!


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb