Epic Meals and Museum Karma


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Siena
July 22nd 2009
Published: July 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Lovely LadyLovely LadyLovely Lady

One of the Etruscan hotties at Chiusi.
A weekend of epic length (we got Monday off) of course gave ample opportunity to do epic things. And epic things I've done. Saturday was a trip to Chiusi to view me some urns (which I hope to focus upon for my dissertation), and the trip started off right with a nice bout of carsickness on twisty Italian roads. The museum was great, but we ended up having to pay full entry price (even though some of us are students), the lighting was not so great, and they didn't have a ton on view. Nevertheless, the things they had out were gorgeous. Besides, we ate at a restaurant called "Il Bucchero" (bucchero is the name for the native Etruscan pottery) and continued our tour of french fries in Italy. Not too impressed this time. We got back in time for Meatfest 2009, part two. This time we roasted veggies and potatoes, and grilled steaks, swordfish, and octopus. Sunday morning was epic breakfast: scrambled eggs, pancetta, french toast, leftover roasted potatoes, and ketchup. Yes, we found ketchup.

Went to TNT, a beer pub that serves a ridiculous amount of beer, especially given its location in the middle of nowhere, Tuscany, and
Chiusi ChiusoChiusi ChiusoChiusi Chiuso

Boo for non-open tombs at the necropolis.
I ordered a margarita to see what I'd get. I got a lemon drop. No semblance of margarita. This is Italy.

Best part was Monday's road trip to Massa Marittima, a very old hill town that was also a major Etruscan site and known for its mines. Of course, everything was closed on Monday. We decided to walk around and made it up to the mine museum. We passed by an iron gate at the entrance to one of the mine shafts on the way to the ticket booth, saw the museum was closed, and on the way back I told my buddy that if he could open the door, I would totally go in. Door. Was. Unlocked. We spent a good 15-20 minutes wandering around mineshafts and managed to scare the pants off of a young German kid walking by the entrance. Full price at Chiusi was balanced out by free admission to this museum.

Car ride back resulted in extreme carsickness for me, including a mandatory stop at the side of the road so I could regain control over myself. We made a second stop near a really cool looking bridge, and I got out of
Sad Face at the MuseumSad Face at the MuseumSad Face at the Museum

Why EVERYTHING on Mondays, Massa Marittima?
the car only to encounter a huge puddle of vomit left by someone who had been in a similar situation to mine, though slightly less successful than I was.

Epic weekend led to epic work week, as the last couple weeks of the dig are always very hectic. Wish us luck in getting everything done!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Nelle MiniereNelle Miniere
Nelle Miniere

Scooby-doo type adventure, here.
San GalganoSan Galgano
San Galgano

Roofless abbey on the way home. Had to sit down twice to keep from vomiting.
Ponte PiaPonte Pia
Ponte Pia

Wicked awesome bridge. Puddle of vomit located off to the left (not visible).


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb