Day trip to San Gimignano and Siena


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Siena
September 30th 2007
Published: September 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

View of TuscanyView of TuscanyView of Tuscany

View on the drive to Siena from San Gimignano
San Gimignano is a very old, historic city in Italy. We really enjoyed walking around the picturesque streets that were very steep and completely surrounded by stone buildings. The region is famous for the Chianti wine and olive oil it produces and there were lots of places to buy both. The ceramic pottery was also amazing. The views around this area, as you can see, were incredible.

Tammy just left to go do laundry, so I am free to edit her text. She met her match in the talking department today. The drive to San Gimignano was 1 hr 10 min and the tour guide talked for 1 hr 9 1/2 mins - only stopping when we interuppted her to buy some water.

We then took a 1 hour drive to Siena (with the tour guide not missing a second of talk on that trip). We enjoyed a walking tour of this city - one of Italy's most powerful towns in the 1300's. Siena is famous for the horse race (Palio) it showcases twice a year. The horses and riders race on sand in the main square, Piazzo de Campo, and the winner gets a hand painted flag to fly in his district (looks a little dangerous for just a flag, if you ask me.) The tour was interesting and the boys hung in there on the long day.

Tomorrow we head to Venice and hope the beautiful weather continues.

Ciao!

P.S. - Brittney and nana - How is Mia doing? Let us know.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Streets of San GimignanoStreets of San Gimignano
Streets of San Gimignano

Notice the court jester in the background (Gavin)
Enjoying the Tuscany scenaryEnjoying the Tuscany scenary
Enjoying the Tuscany scenary

Gavin and John enjoying all the beautiful sites (I think they can see them in the reflection from their Game Boys)
Piazza de CampoPiazza de Campo
Piazza de Campo

Main square in Siena (where the have the horse race twice a year)


30th September 2007

WOW!
The pictures and updates are magnificient. I hope you all are enjoying your trip. Put the game boys away!! Miss you!
1st October 2007

Funny stuff
Very funny! I'm impressed how well you guys are keeping up with the blog! Have fun in Venice and don't forget to haggle for that gondola ride.
2nd October 2007

Hey Gavin and John
You guys look like you are having a great time. Maybe you should take your favorite cousin next time. (That's me by the way) Hey, where are the scooters mom keeps talking about? I don't see any scooters??

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0982s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb