Tuesday 25th Siena


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Siena
September 25th 2018
Published: September 25th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Ahhh, we slept in today. Perhaps the pace has slowed and we are recovering ourselves. We had a our breakfast in the flat and then made our way to the Duomo to take in the incredible art and workmanship. Of course it was crowded and we had to move with the wave of tourists, but it was worth the wait. The pulpit by Pisano was incredible, detailed and moving. The Piccolomino Library was superb with its frescoes and illuminated manuscripts (to be sung from). Peggy is moved by the workmanship and the beauty. We moved around the altar and the choir seats and were amazed at the inlaid woodwork done for each seat. Imagine spending months or years creating something that has lasted centuries but nobody knows who did it. The only reason we know about Pisano is from ledgers of payments made to the artist.

John purchased a rosary and had it blessed by one of the priests as a gifts to a friend. How special this place is and how wonderful the blessing is for his friend. Then on to a walk about looking for an easy way to St Catherine’s church to complete the connection of her body (Santa Maria Sopra Minerva in Rome) and her head (Santa Caterina in Siena). How awful she must feel every day with the separation!

Needless to say we did not make it to the church and stopped for lunch at a small restaurant with moderate food and nice service. Back to home base for a brief rest and then out on the town to watch the waves of folks out for passeggiata. We did take the opportunity to visit the Duomo again with many fewer visitors and a great chance to be with the beauty of the place. Finally, a little shopping for goods at the flat and we moved back into the “ahhhh” mode. A relaxing and healthy day for us both.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1006s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb