European Adventure 2013


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Lucca
October 18th 2013
Published: October 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

LuccaLuccaLucca

Palazzo Pfanner as seen from the walls of Lucca
One of the good things about staying in one place for an extended period is that you can have the occasional “rest day” without feeling that you’re missing out on something or that you should be out sight-seeing. Ced & I decided to do just that today as the “youngsters” were heading to San Gimignano, a place we’d visited last week. We got up fairly late, dealt with another Airbnb booking for our flat, caught up on some mundane chores, made a packed lunch and walked to a beautiful sunny spot on the walls for a picnic. The weather was perfect but there were not many tourists about so it was very peaceful and relaxing.

We had some tickets for the Lucca Comic and Cartoon Museum left over from a combo ticket we’d bought when we visited the Botanic Garden, so after lunch we walked further round the walls in an effort to find this place. No address was given on the ticket but we’d located it online prior to leaving. By mistake we ended up in the place where they produce the comics! A young man redirected us and we found the right building, only to be given extremely lengthy instructions in Italian about where we could go…didn’t have the heart to tell the dear lady we couldn’t understand a word of it! We were the only ones there and it wasn’t difficult to find our way around. The place was quite fascinating with large figures of characters, original drawings and watercolours of comics made in Italy since about 1935 – spaghetti westerns, Diabolik, Eva Kant and others. Unfortunately, my camera was being re-charged and I did not have my phone so missed out on what could have been some interesting photos…oh well.

Headed back for a cup of tea and made some damper (Italian bread is not that great!) and some chicken cacciatore with rice for the troops when they return home this evening.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb