Trains and Bicycles


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Lucca
February 18th 2009
Published: February 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Not a whole lot to report today - mostly a travel day.

Got up around 8 and headed to St Anthonys church in Padua since i had stayed in a hotel right across the street for 3 nights nad hadnt been in there yet. there was a service going on so i just kidna crept around the back for a peek. yet another huge, beautiful basilica. its happened - i am officially churched out. been in dozens and dozens in teh last month and i dont even really take notice any more!

went for the 7€ buffet breakfast at the hotel today because i knew id be on the train all day and didnt want to have to buy expensive, subpar train food. well it was a gerat idea. i had cereal with cold milk, kiwi, bread with cheese and ham, a croissant, a raisin sweet bun, tea, OJ... i stuffed myself silly, and never ate again until 5pm. except for the extra bottloe of water and bun with a slice of cheese and ham i slipped into my bag to munch on the train. hey it was all you can eat - they just didnt say when you had to eat it!

anyways, off to the station, got my tickets from the machine to lucca. fast train to florence, slower one on to lucca.

i'm a little disappointed with lucca, seems a bit dead. its surrounded by old walls all around, very night and thick. rented a bicycle and went around twice in 45 mins. 8km. thats about 8km more than ive biked in the last decade... didnt think id forget how though, its kinda like riding a bike....

had a slice of mediocre pizza for supper, now trying to find where i can go tomorrow. glad i only booked one night, as the train station doesnt have that many connections for day trips either. live and learn

hopefully cinque terre tomorrow, but i cant seem to find anywhere decent ot sleep. we'll see.

no gelato today (yet) will try to remedy that after this internet session.

home in 5 days. booooo

Advertisement



18th February 2009

Quiet Padua
Hi Jason: Time to get a breather from all the exciting things you've seen -- bike ride is good -- easy on the feet. Had a note from Jeffrey this a.m. He was leaving Ottawa last night --ran into your dad there -- neat! We're into a nasty snow and windstorm today - 100kph -- I was just out clearing away around the jeep --had a hassle yesterday with the blower --rag caught around the augur -- got it cleared and parked by the door but decided it wasn't worth the effort of 'unpacking' it --used the shovel --waiting now for Jodi -- I'm stranded. I'd like some of that mild Italian weather. You count your blessings! Bye, Nan
19th February 2009

You made me late for work
Okay, I fell behind on your blog; I admit it. So I had to catch up and now I've made myself late for work. I'm putting the blame for this directly at your feet! So jealous Jason! Sounds like you are having a fabulous time. I would venture a guess that even with your tight wad tendencies it wasn't a cheap trip! Glad to know Jeff made it back to Canada all in one piece!
20th February 2009

heya jason...well just after looking at the city of Padua...well..I can certainly understand how you can be chrurched out! here were 27 photos of the city on this page...and I would say that 25 of them were churches.....lol....wow....even I would be churched out at all of that!

Tot: 0.38s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0824s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb