Sunday 12th


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
April 12th 2015
Published: April 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Although we were up fairly early, we took our time and wandered up to San Marco and the monastery where Fra Angelico lived and painted. His superior was Savanarola – famous for his “bonfire of the vanities” in the mid-15thcentury – and Angelico painted a personal biblical scene in each of his brothers’ cells. So beautiful and so personal. We wandered through, with special focus on the cells and the library, and were pleased to have few crowds and the Sunday quietude.

Afterwards we walked to the Piazza Annunciata nearby where there was a crafts market. Lots of beautiful wooden toys and kitchen utensils, but where would we put any of it in our new, smaller house. Moving on we had a nice tea at a new four-star hotel and spa (hotel is completed but the spa is under construction) and then made our way to the Bargello, but the crowds were too big so we skipped it and went back to the hotel and a nearby trattoria for a simple lunch.

We met Ursula and the grandchildren at Piazza della Republica and took a long walk before settling at Gilli’s in the piazza for a pre-dinner appetizer. A visit to the hotel to see the view from the roof and then off to dinner at GustaPizza in the Oltrarno. Great reputation and good pizza but it was chaos from start to finish. So very happy to see little Maya holding her own with her brothers and enforcing her will on the group. She is a darling looking and acting child. The twins are wonderful in their curiosity and the pleasure they take in learning. And of course it is special to be with Ursula as we wandered and talked and then wandered some more. A great day with family. We ended at one of the most recommended pizza places, GustaPizza, with its crowds and packed interior. The pizza was good but not great but so what, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Walked back to the Ponte Vecchio and parted with promises of the activity of the day to come.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.363s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb