Mediterranean Cruise: Florence/Pisa-Day Six


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
October 7th 2012
Published: October 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Up early again for our guided tour of Florence and Pisa. The drive to Florence took about 1 ½ hours. We stopped first at an overlook called Michelangelo’s Square. It offers a grand panoramic view of medieval Florence within the city walls.

From there we drove through the city gates and began our walking tour by first crossing the Arno River on the Ponte Vecchio Bridge, originally built in 1333. The bridge you visit today was built in 1345 to replace the original that was destroyed during a flood. The shops that line this bridge are unique in design, and offer incredibly expensive jewelry and leather goods.

After leaving the bridge we meandered through narrow streets (well, not exactly streets, but maybe alleys, bike lanes, pedestrian byways?) until we arrived first at Piazzo della Signoria, and then a walk of a few more blocks brought us to Piazza del Duomo, home to the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore, Florence’s main cathedral. A few blocks past Piazzo del Duomo and we were at Galleria del Accademica which houses Michelangelo’s David. Even with being on a tour, our wait was nearly 30 minutes.

Upon exiting the museum we were given an hour to have lunch. We each enjoyed a Panini and a gelato for dessert.

In the afternoon we drove an hour to Pisa where we encountered our first rain. We had brought umbrellas, but don’t fear. You will be swamped by vendors. The starting price was 5 Euros, but I’m sure they’d take less.

Despite the rain and being slightly damp, we climbed the 294 steps to the top of the Leaning Tower that was begun in 1174. It was built to be the bell tower for the cathedral. You can tour both the cathedral and baptistery in what is known as Miracle Square. We did not. We did though; take the touristy pictures of “holding up” the Leaning Tower of Pisa. What can I say?

On our return walk to the bus, the rain let up. We then enjoyed the countryside as we made our way back to Livorno 45 minutes away.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Perseus with the Head of MedusaPerseus with the Head of Medusa
Perseus with the Head of Medusa

Located in the Piazzo della Signoria


Tot: 0.355s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb