Florence, David, and Peace and Quiet


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
April 9th 2005
Published: April 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

In Florence now! Woo!

Florence is a nice city. We got here around 3:40PM yesterday (took a train after the funeral mass was over). Speaking of which, what a strange and amazing experience. So many people gathered together to honor a man and honor God (or just watch the sight of it all)-- it's nearly indescribable. The crowds stood together, sat together, clapped and cheered, sang and said prayers, took communion-- the wind ruffling my hair was the same ruffling the pages of the book placed on the Pope's coffin, the words said and sung were said and sung just a stone's throw away from where I was-- and all the different people gathered at the Circus Maximus-- simply incredible. It was amazing to be at Rome at such a historic time. Granted, actually being AT the Vatican might've been cooler, but where we were and the experience that came with it was terrific.

Okay, so Florence. When we got off the train, we made our way to the Palazzo Signoria where the Uffizzi (art museum) is. We didn't go inside the museum, but the outside was pretty! Then, we went to the Galleria Accademica and saw--*GASP*-- Michelangelo's David.
The DuomoThe DuomoThe Duomo

Florence, Italy
The statue was much bigger than I'd expected, and though I'd seen pictures, there's just something different about seeing the work of art in person. It was quite lovely, with so much detail-- the muscles, creases, veins, etc. I'm glad we got to see it!

We also saw the Duomo, made of three different colors of marble and stretching up into the sky-- also beautiful and a wonder to gaze at.

Then, we ate at a local pizzeria and got to our hostel (Hostel Pio X) in the early evening. Fortunately, we got a three-bed room, so we have the place all to ourselves and were able to sleep in this morning.

So, fun so far, and I'm looking forward to more Florence today (and the Vatican once we return to Rome in the evening)!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

More DuomoMore Duomo
More Duomo

Florence, Italy
More DuomoMore Duomo
More Duomo

Florence, Italy


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0714s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb