Day 35 Into Florence


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
June 6th 2011
Published: June 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We took a bus from the campsite into Florence for the day, along with half of the campsite residents it seemed! They had to lay on an extra bus. Once there the story was similar with lots of tour groups arriving. We quickly headed for the Academia (Art/sculpture museum), hoping to get there before the queues started, only to find it was shut (Mondays), as were other museums and gardens we had wanted to see. Those who know me will be surprised at my mistake, I have a love of guide books, but clearly have chilled out too much and wasn’t engrossed in them as I usually am. So we wandered Florence, and I suggested we went up the Duomo. This trip takes you inside the dome right up close to the frescos, (of the Last Judgement) up 463 narrow steep steps to the top of the turret. Unfortunately the combination of claustrophobia, crowds and a severe dislike of heights made this very unpleasant for Kim.... but I hope you enjoy some of the photos he managed to take!. Back on terra firma we stopped to fill up on pasta, and then walked up to the hilltop Piazza Michelangelo for some stunning views. Florence was nicer when the crowds disbursed, we enjoyed wandering through in early evening.... and just had to try a Florence Pizza!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb