Florence last day pt 2


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
November 7th 2010
Published: November 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post


After the duomo, more cappucino & paninis for morning tea. They r made with lovely bread & lightly toasted with various fillings, usually type of dried meat & cheese. We then went to Palazzo Pitti, a mansion built by a rival to the powerful Medici family who ruled Florence in the 1500's. In later yrs it was bought by one of the Medici & became their residence. It was pretty spectacular & we saw the private apartments of the family , rooms with embroidered woven silk on the walls each room a difficult colour silk with differing designs, & the chandeliers - they were huge. The banquet hall had 12 of them in it thats how big the room was. Lots of rooms had wonderful frescoed ceilings. One room was dedicated to hercules showing him battling armies, it was great.
Then we went for dinner at a place recommended by Lonely Planet book & had Florence's specialty, Florentine steak.
The waiter was great, we ordered soup 1st just one for max & he bought out a small bowl for me as well. We had asked him the difference between the 2 tuscan soups on the menu, so after we finished the bowl we ordered he bought out another 2 small bowls of the other one to try! He told us the steak is always for 2 and he was right! Big pce on the bone, bout 3 fingers thick & tasty but rare. The italian couple at nxt table sent theirs back as not cooked enough so we realised we could have done the same but we both needed a carnivorous meal & that certainly what we had! We decided to go whole hog and had dessert, pannacote & apple tart, then coffee & biscotti!
Needless to say we didn't eat much the nxt day!





Advertisement



Tot: 0.28s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0803s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb