Italy with Kids - Florence to Naples


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
September 27th 2008
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

27 Sept 2008 (these blogs being uploaded from Letojanni -have to do pics later)

With our sites set firmly on Naples, we checked out at around 9:30, found the autostrade, and zoomed down. Relatively uneventful, and after passing the Rome turnoff the traffic was light. Naples was interesting - first we made a wrong turn early on while still on the autostrade and ended up going right around the city and approaching it from the southeast. Lucky for us we were looking for the port and there were clear signs to the port. But I understand the remarks about the driving in Naples. The Napolians really like driving everywhere! I kept to a generally right side of the road, apart from the occasional foray across the unmarked 2 to 4 lane road to drive around double and triple-parked cars. With a little bit of gut instinct on our side, we quickly found the location to drop off the car, and then a carpark right up the road from it.

Then a leisurely walk through the Piazza Del Pebiscito, where I was interested in the light and colours of the buildings looking through to the Piazza Trieste E Trento.
















We admired the entry to the Galleria Umberto 1 on our way to the Castel Nuovo, where the kids started making a nuisance of themselves. The castle wasn't like the Castel St Angelo, but more a set of rooms that you visit from a central courtyard, and unfortunately with not much appeal for the kids. We quit that reasonably quickly, then walked down along the port to find where our boat was leaving from.



We decided to walk back by going in a couple of blocks, but due to it being Saturday most shops were closed, and there was major subway construction going on in the Piazza G Bovio, which used to be home to the Fontana Del Nettuno. The back streets near the port are quite frankly grubby and unappealing. Then back to the car and a little dialogue ensued with the rental car company, whom decided not the have the depot open even though we'd prearranged the drop-off. After some persuasion they provided another place nearby to leave the car, and we stopped for dinner at a local restaurant before catching a taxi down to the ferry and boarding.

Well the ferry was cool. I was expecting a Picton Ferry type vessel from the 80s, with very simple seating and small shop, but instead was introduced to an upmarket vessel with all the appearances of a four star hotel, complete with a reception counter in white marble. We wandered through the ship, checked out the card room, cinema (only showing at Italian film for €5), large bar area with dance floor (if Ky and I had some spare energy I'm sure we would have given that a go!), games room (really a slot machine room), three restaurants, the various decks, and of course our room. Couples note: twin bunks, each one being slightly too narrow to share with your loved one, as we found out later on!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb