Firenze


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
September 13th 2008
Published: September 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Copula The Copula The Copula

1420- 30's Brunelleschi. Interior by Giorgio Vasari (1511-1574) and Federico Zuccari (c. 1540-1609) With Campanile Di Giotto on left.
Florence, oh the JOY of it all !!!!! :D
A veritable treasure trove of humanity! Birthplace of Renaissance, comparable to Athens & so much to see it would take months to experience it all.

Established in 59 BC by Caesar, this city has seen more than its fair share of war & strife. It is with ease one can appreciate what remains & has been inspired here. If not for the cars, it would be a very quiet city indeed. One cannot help but "think" here. Every corner, side road, piazza, holds a surprise no matter how prepared you believe yourself to be. The city "oozes" respect to history: & from the parking garage (big time safe) to the customer in the "tourist" restaurant = rated Best.
However, it is highly recommended to ask the price before purchase! For example, our waiter was our "menu". No menu card. He rattled off the specials, the norm, etc. no prices. This was par for the course in several establishments. With children, I personally, like to look over a menu as opposed to listening to a menu... well, bits & pieces are forgotten & if the children aren't happy- Mom & Dad
If you look very closelyIf you look very closelyIf you look very closely

You will notice people (very small) cooling in the Arno River
aren't happy 😉 Time for the well-rounded children to show their colors, tolerate, guess & become acquainted with the abstract.... & swallow it 😊 Call it Culture. If price is an issue all I can recommend is "ask", if not, Hope for the best. Expect a dinner with a grand view, family of 5, to cost upwards of €150 (+/- $200). Not particularly out of the norm for Europe. HOWEVER..... Take note of the Gelato! When ordering "ice cream" @ the popular tourist piazzas the price is considerably different than on the smaller "side streets"! Imagine our surprise when upon ordering 5 cones & being hit with a bill for €50 !!!!!!!! ($70) :O ! One could fill their freezer full of ice cream for months @ that price! I must admit though, is was delicious 😊 Better be :D !

Water....... hmmmm. Runs constantly though every facet possible of the city. Sinks, toilets, faucets..... they run continually. Waste is a non-issue here -_- something, I dare say, wouldn't be commonly expressed on the net or through the media when expounding upon the virtues of Florence.
I must admit, I did take into consideration the fact Florence may have a modern water treatment "arrangement", but ever so sorry to say- the smell says otherwise 😞
No matter how beautiful something is, if it stinks, it detracts. I can't imagine the quality of the air does the art any favors. Honest to a fault? Perhaps. It would be simple to give Firenze 10 /10 but that wouldn't be honest of me. Florence NEEDS to do something about this.
Now you may think I do go on about the scent of places, it is but one sense, an important one. Take into consideration I speak as both an American & European-it is possible to be both. To respect both, to be the best or "worst" of both. To constructively critique yet appreciate. Hygiene is important to me & mine 😊 When a city stinks in "some" places, it's a shame, it need not be so.
Some friendly advice= Don't stand near a storm drain for any length of time-unforgettable rash may beset you :D no joke.

All in all we adore Florence. Must see in the Life List of Bucket Things To Do 😊 Masters of Art, Architecture & Ambiance. Key in it's influence to world politics/history.
Elegant. Awesome.
On the Ponte Vecchio On the Ponte Vecchio On the Ponte Vecchio

Once housed butcher shops & now jewelry shops.
Historic. Picturesque. Gorgeous, something for everyone. Absolutely unforgettable experience... you'll forget the smell & be left with grand memories :D
x~




Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Further on the Ponte Vecchio Further on the Ponte Vecchio
Further on the Ponte Vecchio

The oldest surviving bridge in Florence, a must see.
The Uffizi Gallery (Galleria degli Uffizi) The Uffizi Gallery (Galleria degli Uffizi)
The Uffizi Gallery (Galleria degli Uffizi)

Surely one of the oldest & most famous art museums in the world- Palazzo degli Uffizi.... Wow!
Living StatueLiving Statue
Living Statue

Warning:After days of endless monuments & statues= Scares the wits out of children :D
Wine....Wine....
Wine....

in 5 liter bottles!
Facade of Santa Maria del Fiore- DuomoFacade of Santa Maria del Fiore- Duomo
Facade of Santa Maria del Fiore- Duomo

Finished in 1887 by Emilio De Fabris
Basilica; notable Dome  Basilica; notable Dome
Basilica; notable Dome

Cambio 1296. Dome; 37,000 tons and contains over 4 million bricks by Brunelleschi & Donatello.
3600 square meters of painting the interior of dome.3600 square meters of painting the interior of dome.
3600 square meters of painting the interior of dome.

Giorgio Vasari and Federico Zuccari-1579 Named The Last Judgment.
True fresco & secco methods.True fresco & secco methods.
True fresco & secco methods.

11 years to complete by various artists after the death of Vasari.
Giotto bell-towerGiotto bell-tower
Giotto bell-tower

1334-1359 Giotto, Robbia, Pisano, Brunelleschi, Talenti and Alberti.
Duomo di FirenzeDuomo di Firenze
Duomo di Firenze

The Bishop: San Zanobi
Came across this in a parking lot!Came across this in a parking lot!
Came across this in a parking lot!

Standing alone, seemingly of no particular interest to anyone :O


Tot: 0.345s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb