Florence is better than Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
September 6th 2007
Published: September 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

San Lorenzo MarketsSan Lorenzo MarketsSan Lorenzo Markets

Just one shot of the stalls selling leather, scarves, belts, wallets, bags, etc. (Michelle lost her mind here).
Hey everyone,

So as you can see from the title, Florence is indeed way better than Rome. There is less crazy traffic, less graffiti (basically everything is covered in grafitti in Rome, its really weird), more pedestrian friendly, better markets, etc.

Michelle and I are continuing to have a blast and we have seen alot of great things here. So far we have seen the Duomo, the Uffizi, the Ponte Vecchio, the David / Academia, wicked leather markets and one hell of an amazing indoor market for food (the leather and food markets are called San Lorenzo).

Not only have we had a great time strolling the streets, sipping great coffee and eating great meals (I think Michelle almost killed herself by over eating ... she ate alot of buffalo-milk mozarella (which is amazing by the way), proscuitto, gnocchi and then followed up her potato-based pasta with........more potatoes and veal. What a trooper!) We had a really romantic night where we strolled home from dinner and wandered into Piazza della Signoria (where the fake david is, the pitti palace and a wicked collection of original scultpures) which is a wonderful piazza just next to the Uffizi. Anyway, on
Il DuomoIl DuomoIl Duomo

A great shot taken by Michelle that shows the finer points of Florence's amazing neo-gothic church (Michelle thinks it looks like a giant wedding cake)
our way home from a nice dinner, we stumbled by this great violinist who was playing some classical music and a bunch of people were gathered around enjoying the tunes. Basically it was the perfect end to a great night. One other thing we have been enjoying is the gelatto. SEriously, Florentine gelatto is so good, so very, very good. The stuff you get in Rome is crap in comparison. We have had some everyday! If it werent for the 8 hours of walking a day, we would be very, very fat.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures. We are in Florence for one more day and then we head for San Gimignano (the place we have been looking forward to the most).

Greg


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

View from the Ponte VecchioView from the Ponte Vecchio
View from the Ponte Vecchio

A picture of Michelle and I standing on the Ponte Vecchio.


6th September 2007

Glad to hear Florence isn't trying to kill Michelle like Rome did! Yeah Florence is very nice, you should look for Dante's place. If I remember it's near la piazza della signoria.
9th September 2007

I dunno that Florence is BETTER than Rome- for me it was almost like disney world, it's almost not real. But I fully appreciate that it's way more laid back and tourist friendly (i suppose it would have to be!). Glad you guys are having fun!
9th September 2007

So Fun!
It sounds like you guys are having an amazing time! Make sure you bring me back some of that delicious food Michelle is O.D.'ing on! Be safe! See you soon!
10th September 2007

Great Pic
Greg....great pic on the Ponte Vecchio. Looks like you two are having a great time....keep the entries coming!! Mark

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb