463 Steps!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
April 9th 2007
Published: April 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

That's right folks, we climbed 463 steps to the top of the Duomo this morning. Now, these aren't your average stairs, they are narrow and winding 600 year old stairs. First you go up these narrow NARROW flights, then a straight stretch, then some spiral stair cases, then another set of regular stairs, the higher you go the more percarious the stairways become. Then you get these fools going the wrong way and trying to come down where you are trying to go up, did I mention how narrow these stairs are? Anyway, once you get to the top it is so worth it. On the way up you get to see the frescoed interior of the dome close up, quite amazing, then about another two hundred steps later you go out onto the roof for a magnificent view of Florence.

We also visited the crypts under the duomo, with some neat artifacts and what not, but not nearly as cool as upstairs. I mean this painting by Michelangelo is inches away from your face!

We stopped just outside the duomo for another fantastic tuscan meal, and we just finished eating a bucket of gelato each. Well, Jaysons was more of a bucket, mine was slightly more modest, about to steps down from bucket status. We have discovered a new fantastic magical thing where they will actually let you put TWO flavors of gelato into one. MMM.

Yesterday we went to the San Lorenzo Market, which is street after street of stalls selling everything you could imagine. From scarves and jewellry and clothes to leather stuff, knives and gimmiky tourist stuff. Anything you could imagine you could find here, and it is all so cheap! I love shopping. I, however, was quite restrained with my spending.

So far Florence is still far better than Rome, we have decided to stay a couple of extra nights here. Did I already mention that in an earlier post? Anyway, everything is FANTASTIC. We are having a wonderful time.

I am still working on the picture thing, this site isn't the best for posting pictures, but I will figure something out soon I promise!

Love to all

Sarah and Jayson.

Advertisement



9th April 2007

florenzia
Hi guys, We are having a great time reading your posts. We hope both of your are smiling and enjoying every minute of your trip. Love to you both. PS Reading about Florence has rekindled my memories of my trip-18 years ago. Thanks,

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 4; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 967.4kb