Florentine Sculpture, Bargello, San Lorenzo, Santa Maria Novella


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
January 3rd 2024
Published: January 9th 2024
Edit Blog Post

After a talk about Florentine sculpture, we walked to the Bargello and toured with the guide, learning how the approach to art and thus the artwork changed. The Museo Nazionale del Bargello is located in Florence’s historic Palazzo del Podestà. It was established by royal decree on June 22, 1865—Italy’s first national museum—and is dedicated to sculpture.

After a look at San Lorenzo exterior, we had lunch at Ciro and Sons (not the one in Harrisonburg!). I had a Lynsey Salad which was excellent—butter lettuce, Granny Smith apple slices, almonds and raisins dressed with just olive oil. The opposite (vinegar usually) flavor was supplied by the tart apples.

On the way home, we toured Santa Maria Novella, with glorious stained glass and frescoes. A few of us stopped for a glass of wine at a cafe on the way back to the hotel; friendly folks!

Dinner at Lo Scudo was a treat. I had steak which I ordered medium; when I got to the middle and it was too rare, they took it back and cooked that part some more!! Mike had Tortelloni al Tartufo e Salsiccia (Large ravioli stuffed with pork sausage and covered with black truffle sauce).

Walked home; Duomo and area fantastic at night!


Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

St georgeSt george
St george

No dragon—he’s off to slay it
BacchusBacchus
Bacchus

Caused a bit of a scandal because he was clearly drunk!
One of the other DavidsOne of the other Davids
One of the other Davids

This one might be Mercury
DavidDavid
David

I don’t know what I think of the hat
That follow youThat follow you
That follow you

Made of glass


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb