In a Firendaze


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
January 7th 2018
Published: January 7th 2018
Edit Blog Post

The first few days in Florence have been a blur; though it has only been three days it has felt like several weeks. Right when we landed we were greeted with the hectic lifestyle that exists in Florence, from the way people drive to the endless lines for sandwiches. One of the greatest challenges I immediately noticed was the lack of supervision, and I was unsure of how I would navigate what is not only a foreign city, but a foreign country and continent thousands of miles from my home and loved ones (and actual cellphone plan). Though I still find frustration in the nonexistent headcounts when we do finally travel as a whole group, or the disconcert for those students who have faced misfortunes such as lost luggage or “deathly” illnesses, I must say it has all been a blessing in disguise for myself. In just three days I have already become somewhat familiar on streets I’ve never before seen, and have gotten lost enough to now know my way, at least back to my apartment. Everyone has had to keep up and learn how to do all of this on the fly, and usually without a GPS or even the ability to call a leader for help. I am a person that loves structure and plans, but I was seeking growth on this trip and I can already feel that I am changing my ways and learning to go with the flow.

On our first day we were able to see our apartments and learn how to operate every appliance safely and without blowing a fuse. The apartment itself will be a great teacher in patience, for the stove and washing machine are quite old and must be used sparingly and at different times than when we are using power outlets. Though we were instructed not to sleep on our first day I, among several others, took a quick nap to rejuvenate before dinner. After getting dressed and meeting at the carousel we had a delicious multicourse meal, courtesy of AEF, and the wonderful Antonio and Michael escorted us there. All of our Italian hosts (and even our Irish one) that we have met so far have been incredibly kind, as well as put us at ease about navigating Florence. Our meal consisted of pâté, cheeses, pastas, desserts, and several glasses of wine, as well as tons of laughter among the different tables. I have found that none of my fellow peers are scary or rude, and that we all actually have quite a bit in common. Though the flights to Italy felt endless, I’m sure the trip back will be fun with all the new friendships made.

Though there hasn’t been much to compare it to yet, Saturday was definitely my favorite day here thus far. We finally saw where we would be having classes, and visited the market for lunch and shopping. My roommate, Andy, and I planned on watching the Epiphany parade approach the Duomo, but decided food and a better viewing spot were more important. We ended up getting lost for quite some time, walking up and down alleyways and all the way to the train station, among other places. Again, this proved useful when today (Sunday) we had to make our way back to our apartment from the station without a guide besides our memories and the occasional Google Maps. While finding our way back to familiarity we ran into the parade twice, thankfully allowing us to at least see the costumes and musicians. Once we made it to a grocery store and then back home, we spiffed up and headed to an aperitivo with the rest of the group. We ate tons of delicious food, drank many delicious drinks, and I got a chance to mingle with others I had yet to meet. By the end of the night everyone was laughing and having a great time, even walking each other home to ensure we all made it back safe.

At this point, not even a full three days since arriving, I believe I have had a conversation with almost everyone in our group, and I can say with full confidence that my classmates will help me more than anything to have a great time while studying abroad. I am excited for class tomorrow and all the activities to come this week (especially the cooking class and the Amazing race), and hope to only familiarize myself with the city more and more each day.



STEPS WALKED

Jan. 5: 8,619

Jan. 6: 23,118

Jan. 7: 17,029

TOTAL: 48,766 steps

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb