away from the madding crowd in a lovely borgo


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Casole d'Elsa
July 9th 2010
Published: July 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

i recently got back from my 2nd stay in this lovely village in the val d'elsa.on the way we got off the highway and went through monte rufeno in alto lazio and the val d'orcia.no cars on the road,beautiful scenery all the way.casole is on a hill and visible from a distance.we stayed in an apartment i found on homelidays.com but it is also on the bellatoscana site called la cisterna.it's in a former convent and has a heavenly garden with views of volterra and san gimignano.
we didn't go to either towns cause we weren't in the mood for crowds and went to smaller borghi instead.on tuesday we headed to the poggi bonsi market.i think we were the only tourists there.it's a real bustling market for locals.we had lunch at a food stand in the market.my husband had the local specialty,lampredotto.i had the best sausage and onion sandwich.the truck goes to different tuscan towns every day.
poggi bonsi was bombed and destroyed in a battle and there isn't much left of the old town but the fonte delle fate has an unusual sculpture exhibit-reptiles and human figures frozen in time floating in water.i've never seen anything like it.
to be continued...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0896s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb