Walking Messina


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily » Messina
May 9th 2016
Published: May 9th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Madonna della letteraMadonna della letteraMadonna della lettera

This is a detail of statue on the right in the photo of the sail boat. It is the entry to the port and asks for blessing to be bestowed on the city and its people. I didn't take this photo.
With our usual luck, we found our way to every place we wanted to go, starting with buying a map, which we didn't need to use since the kiosk person directed us to the cathedral and told us when the clock tower was scheduled to do its mechanical show. On the way, we found a store to buy most of the items on our shopping list, all except a pen, a watch, and a scarf. We stumbled upon those a little later, still without the use of the map.
After the cathedral we went to the train station to buy tickest for tomorrow for Palermo. Next to the train station, we found a bus office and bought bus tickets since that was our preference anyway.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Port from our terracePort from our terrace
Port from our terrace

Sailing ship, ferry, and La Madonna della Lettera
 Cathedral piazza Cathedral piazza
Cathedral piazza

Empty piazza in front of the cathedral before and after the "show."
CathedralCathedral
Cathedral

Everything you see moves and, in some cases, makes sounds. The lion roars and the rooster crows.
Church below the sidewalk levelChurch below the sidewalk level
Church below the sidewalk level

There was an earthquake in 1918, and the church sunk. They just restored it at the level it was. Much of the rest of the city was built on top of the ruins in other places.
One of the four fountainsOne of the four fountains
One of the four fountains

Same earthquake took dow the fountains. Two were restored.


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb