Licodia Market – Farm.....Roasting Peppers


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily » Catania
September 23rd 2008
Published: September 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Zios FarmZios FarmZios Farm

Kids having a Siesta

Thursday 11th September
Licodia Market - Campania

We were very excited to learn a produce and clothing market came to Licodia every Thursday. There was heaps of cheese and salami and clothing everywhere. Katelyn loved it!! She took her allowance and loved the E1 and E2 stands. She pulled the clothes from the bottom of the piles, turned them over and threw them back. She’d ask “Quando coste?” and spend her money if something took her fancy!!

What amazed me about these markets was that there were no fitting rooms, not even little cubicles to try on bras!! So if you wanted to try on another type of bra or new style of clothing, you hope to god you’ve bought the right size!!

After the market we went to Angela and Giuseppe’s house. This was another Angela and Giuseppe!! It was Zia Vincenzia’s other daughter. We had planned to use her daughter Emma’s internet to skype my grandparents while all her sisters and brother were present. Most of the internet connections are done by people’s friends, so when Kurt tried to use his own lap top with Emma’s internet connection - he had a lot of work to do to try and find out the passwords.

Eventually after trying for a long time with more and more people pouring into Emma’s modest size room, Kurt decided to use Emma’s computer and forget the idea of doing banking on his own laptop.
We skyped my grandparents and watched as they spoke to my grandmother’s sisters, brother, nieces and nephew and grandchildren. It was such a wonderful afternoon as everyone become emotional. My grandfather couldn’t speak because he was crying so much. It was beautiful watching my grandparents talking to my grandmother’s baby brother, whom hard work has prematurely aged. Everyone was choked up and tearing up. It will definitely be a moment in Italy that I’ll remember.

Anglea had lunch organized for us and everyone sat down to a lovely meal of pasta, followed by a vegetable frittata and then fruit and coffee. Most of our meals were like scenes from the Dolmio Sauce ads…long tables, pasta, crusty bread, wine glasses and lots of talking and laughing.

By that stage of the day, we’d worked so damn hard, shopping, crying and of course eating, that it was time for a sleep!! Kurt had already left
Zios FarmZios FarmZios Farm

Picking Capciums
a bit earlier than me with a very tired and irritable Joshua, who was struggling with the accumulation of heat and late nights.

After siesta (when we got our nice Joshua back!!), we headed off to Zio Nunzio’s farm, where we’d planned to roast capsicum’s Licodian style. It was wonderful to see everyone pick capsicums and the kids were running around like idiots!! There were fruit trees of every kind; fig, plum, apple, pear, and even pomegranates. Zio Nunzio lit an enormous fire, which eventually burnt down enough for them to throw all the capsicums. Kurt and Angela watched and turned the capsicums over and we all had a snack out of the back of Zio Nunzio’s larpa (a tiny green ute).

The kids had a great time racing around the farm, eating all the fruit handed to them and creating so much dust as they raced by! When asked if he was going to put out the smouldering ash with some water, my uncle looked amused and said no, why? What was going to burn out here?!

We took the roasted capsicums back to Zio Nunzio’s house and had them with delicious sausages for dinner. When my Aunty Enza offered us Conetto - style ice creams we were amazed like children that hadn’t had been deprived of Christmas for a few years. They looked like real ice creams!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Zios FarmZios Farm
Zios Farm

Eating Melone...
Zios FarmZios Farm
Zios Farm

Sorting the peppers
Zios FarmZios Farm
Zios Farm

Babbysitting Elesabetha
Zios FarmZios Farm
Zios Farm

The Bonfire for the Roast
Zios FarmZios Farm
Zios Farm

The Ritual of roasting Peppers
Zios FarmZios Farm
Zios Farm

Some took it seriously
Zios FarmZios Farm
Zios Farm

At sunset
Zios FarmZios Farm
Zios Farm

Dad and the APE
Zios FarmZios Farm
Zios Farm

This Ape is 40 years old and still going!
Zios FarmZios Farm
Zios Farm

Ana Marie.....seeing how we are before we go off to Zios for dinner


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb