Lost


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sardinia » Alghero
July 31st 2008
Published: July 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello again!

I do apologise for not having kept this blog up to date. I will try to summarise the last few weeks for you now:

We spent two weeks in London before we took the ferry via Dover back to Calais (all my Swedish friends, you must now sing as follows "och vi sag pa varann nar du sakta tog min hand, nagonstans emellan Dover Calaaaaais...").

We then aimed in the general direction of south-east France. After a short discussion on which way to go (I wanted to avoid Paris all together and Enrico thought we should stick with a motorway that passes through Paris) we decided to go via Paris in the evening. This lead us to be lost yet again at 2 o'clock in the morning, this time in the middle of central Paris. As I drove into the roundabout at Place de la Bastille the only thing I could think was: "Oh no. No no no. No." Eventually we found our way out again, not quite in the direction we had planned but out of Paris is always out of Paris, and one should be grateful.

We then slept in the car and the next day we continued through France. Not much to say about it, we drove, we stopped occasionally, we watched the landscape change. Eventually we arrived in Geneve, which is a very beautiful town. We then chose a scenic route through the countryside by the lake and aimed for Chamonix Mont Blanc.

Chamonix is a lovely little place. I mostly know it as a skiing resort, but in summer it is packed with cheerful looking trekkers with backpacks, big walking boots and walking staffs. We stopped for a pint before going through the Mont Blanc tunnel into Italy.

Now I might add that Italy is not big on campings. Well, in Tuscany I saw a few signs pointing towards campings, but in general there are none to be found, at least not if you travel by motorway. (This is compared to Norway and Sweden where you can't take a step without stumbling over a camping area or two). It needs to be pointed out that we had slept in the car since we left London and we had not had a shower for many, many days. Near Turin we were determined to find a camping site. We drove into one sleepy town after the other with no luck. By the time we gave up and started going for bed & breakfast facilities instead it was already getting late. Needless to point out we found no open bed & breakfasts at all and ended up... yes, lost in Turin in the middle of the night. Well, what can I say? I suppose, if you are going to drive aimlessly around big cities it's best to do it late at night when the traffic is not too bad...

We ended up sleeping in the car yet again, and the next day we headed for Pisa. Now Pisa is not too far from Turin so we wouldn't travel very far, but our primary goal was to find a camping site with SHOWERS. So, early in the afternoon we drove into Pisa and immediately came across a camping site only 10 minutes walk from the Leaning Tower. Hallelujah! We parked the Toyota, put up our tent, spent about an hour it the showers, and then went to have a look at the famous Tower.

I can confirm the tower is still leaning.

Pisa is a very cute little town
Me & MarcellaMe & MarcellaMe & Marcella

Me and Enrico's sister floating around in the sea
with plenty of restaurants, bars and gelatterias. We really enjoyed our time there. Back at the camping we made friends with a Dutch couple and a guy from Dover, and we chatted and played guitar all evening.

In the afternoon the next day we left Pisa via Pisa Marina and headed for the ferry from Livorno to Olbia, Sardinia. The ferry left mainland Italy late in the evening, and by 10 am we reached Alghero on the north-west coast of Sardinia.

So, here we are. We have spent our time the last few days either on the beach, in the boat, or by the dinner table, and we will continue in the same way for another month probably. Anybody jealous?

Anyway, now I have to go work on my tan. Bye!

(PS. I will add photos eventually, just wait for it!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

SnorklingSnorkling
Snorkling

Enrico floating around in the sea
FeetFeet
Feet

Enrico's feet enjoying the sunshine on the boat
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Sunset at the country house


3rd August 2008

Enjoyable reading
Hi, I have said it before and I say it again - write a book dear Sara, you have got the talent! I wish you both all the best! Agneta
15th August 2008

Schnyggingen
Den där bilden av dig mot en vägg i Pisa är så läcker!

Tot: 0.665s; Tpl: 0.3s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.3345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1.1mb