Goodbye Stresa, Hello Firenze--and Chris!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Piedmont » Stresa
October 19th 2010
Published: November 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Another sunny day dawned over Lago Maggiore, and not being the type to sit still, we plotted out an active agenda for our transition day between Stresa and Firenze. Since our train didn't leave until mid-afternoon, we had plenty of time to hike part way up Mt. Mattarone, through the small hillside villages of Carciano and Somerano to be blessed with killer views of the lake. Then back down to Stresa and a bit of time spent exploring town and the back streets, which had only received a cursory glance from us so far. We boarded the Eurostar at 3:30 and experienced first class travel for the first (and probably only) time on this trip. Large comfy seats, plenty of leg-room and drinks and snacks served. The airline industry should get some pointers...

The highlight of the day was Chris greeting us at the Santa Maria Novella station in Firenze! He looked great, full of energy, and ready to show us "his" city. We checked into the Hotel Rivoli, where our relatively spacious room looked out over a courtyard--away from the street noise. Then we were off! Chris wanted to take us to a restaurant known for its pasta, but
Church of San Biagio in CarcianoChurch of San Biagio in CarcianoChurch of San Biagio in Carciano

Had to take a photo just because of the name...
it was closed. So we ended up down the street at Il Gatto and La Volpe, one of the Stanford students' "hang-outs". Yes, it's a bar, but also a restaurant--and although we were taken aback a bit when the bar tended high-fived and soul hugged Chris (confirming his status as a "regular"), we were impressed with the pasta and had the best caprese-type salad of our entire time in Italy. And then there was the "on the house" limoncello brought to our table to toast our reunion with Chris!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Also in CarcianoAlso in Carciano
Also in Carciano

Could there be some family "roots" here, too?
View from the road between Carciano and SomeranoView from the road between Carciano and Somerano
View from the road between Carciano and Somerano

Stesa is visible in the background to the right, so you can see how far UP we actually walked!
Somerano SceneSomerano Scene
Somerano Scene

The town was a typical combination of very old and new, as seen in this shot, with the cable car line to the summit of Mt. Mottarone visible over this old stone house, one half in ruins, with the mandatory vegetable garden out back.
Stresa Scene.1Stresa Scene.1
Stresa Scene.1

Mermaid sculpture near the ferry landing.
Stresa Scene.3Stresa Scene.3
Stresa Scene.3

The Church of San Ambrogio
Stresa Scene.4Stresa Scene.4
Stresa Scene.4

Main piazza
Stresa Scene.5Stresa Scene.5
Stresa Scene.5

We could get no explanation for the variety of chimney styles--nor the reason for so many!


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb