ANCHOVIES, SAFFRON AND TRUFFLES


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Piedmont » Orta San Giulio
September 8th 2016
Published: January 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

What are the 'must have' store cupboard ingredients that no van should be without?



We stopped for one night at an Aire in France, en route back to the port, which was 'star' rated for its village amenities. These included restaurants duly signposted... However, the one restaurant included on the map had clearly closed down some years ago, leaving a kebab house and a Carrefour mini market... Nice... Not! Our challenge therefore, on arriving back at the van after a fruitless trawl of the village, was to make something from our left overs / store cupboard, which we did. Paella. On opening the cupboard we were confronted with, amongst other ingredients, saffron, truffles and anchovies - not all of which were needed for the Paella, but which did make us smile. We were sure to be able to rustle up something better than the kebab shop.



A bit of chopping and cooking later we tucked into a tasty paella using frozen prawns from the freezer, pepperami sticks, red onion, red pepper, cherry tomatoes, courgette, vegetable stock, wine, rice, chick peas, saffron, chilli powder, basil and a little cheese to serve - maybe a bit of an unorthodox recipe - but lovely nonetheless.



Our store cupboard, which is not large, contains a full range of herbs and spices, including a pepper grinder, pasta, noodles, rice, kidney beans, chick peas, canned tomatoes, and a range of condiments. Everything you need to make a tasty meal out of very few fresh ingredients. Indeed, your choice may go to any meal solution provided you have all the right seasonings available to you and curry, chilli, risotto, Italian sauce etc are all possibilities.....Our tip is to pack wisely and use small plastic jewellery bags to store herbs and spices.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.22s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb