11. Travel Blog Wednesday 13th August 2014 to Thursday 21st August 2014. Torino to Lake Maggiore, Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Piedmont » Cannero Riviera
September 9th 2014
Published: September 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

13th August 2014 to 21st August 2014. Torino to Lake Maggiore, Italy


11. Travel Blog Wednesday 13th August 2014 to Thursday 21st August 2014.


Torino to Lake Maggiore, Italy





Wednesday 13th August 2014.

Heavy rain starts at 7.20am and it looks like it has set in. Lucky we are moving today to Lake Maggiore. It did ease off as we finished packing, said goodbye to Dario, then off to the campsite on Lake Maggiore. All went well even though we hit some heavy traffic on the last leg along the lake.

We set up and then went for a walk around the area and back for dinner.

The water in the lake is colder than the 2 lakes that we had just left at Avigliana.

The campsite is mainly full of Germans and Netherlanders - they all seem surprised that we come all the way from Australia.



Tom did a ride along the coast road with the traffic then next morning.

Went to the beach for a swim. It was very crowded on the beach as it is only 2 laying persons and a walk-way wide. There is plenty of grass further up to lay on as well.

Dinner and back down to bar for free music – not much good so home and bed.

Note – every hour and half hour the church bells chime – ALL BLOODY NIGHT.

Thank goodness for ear plugs.



Friday and we decided to get ferry to Isola Bella. Tickets return for ferry €34 / $50. Blimey. Nearly 2 hours each way. The island is full of stalls, restaurants, cafes and people.

The Castle and its Grounds cost another €13 / $20 each. No go – we have seen so many castles and gardens we are not desperate to see more at that cost.

So more wandering around the island and wait for the ferry home. A bit disappointed as it was so crowded with so many stall holders, selling the usual touristy items on the walkways, it spoiled the atmosphere of a castle on an island.



On Sunday we go on scooter to Cannobio and then up along the road beside the river to the canyon. There were quite a few scuba divers in the river and more were getting ready to go in. We travel further up the along the winding road to just past Lunecco – very scenic ride.

Motor bike heaven on these roads.

Stop off on way back at a restaurant for coffee and cake – great spot on the side of steep valley and very well presented.

Then home south, as the main road heading north was crawling with traffic.

Tom goes for one more ride up towards the Il Colle – did not make it but got closer.



Up and off on scooter to Cannobio again. This time we walk around – similar to where we are staying only just larger. Lovely village.

Lots of bees at our campsite and after dinner Gaye made pancakes for sweets, and Gaye has honey on hers, so the bees come from everywhere for a feed. We don’t mind bees, and we let them fly around, but we got funny looks from many of the other campers – as many were trying to shoo them away.



Wednesday we head out on the bus to Intra. Another lovely village. We walk around the coast track to Giula Gardens in Pallanza for a coffee and cake – about 1 hour and then walk back to Intra. Get back to motorhome just before the rain starts at 4.45pm.



Thursday and Tom off for a bicycle ride, up to Il Colle – 3hr 13’ 13” and 1800 metres. Very good. Water a bit too cold in the lake today, so just laid in the sun. Made the most of the last day at Lake Maggiore.

Beer and nibblies and take away pizza for dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.327s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1168s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb