Mind the ???!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Milan
August 8th 2013
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.4637, 9.18813

We woke up early to finish packing and get "Happy Venice Apartment" back to its original state. Breakfast today consisted of less messy hard boiled eggs (Jeannette's idea), rolls, and fruit. At 10am we were on our way to the San Marco vaporetto stop. As we left the apartment, we smiled at the familiar smear of poop on the sidewalk. The first time we came across it, we were reminded of a saying used on the London Tube, “Mind the Gap!” So, each time we came home to our apartment, it was, “Mind the Crap!” We patted ourselves on the back for leaving Venice behind as successful minders of the crap.

A ride down the Grand Canal later, we found ourselves parked at a table in F.S. Ferrovia (train station) waiting for our express intercity train to Milan. As we enjoyed some refreshing Nestea and Coke (it was still hot), Barb's bag received a special gift from a lurking pigeon who managed to find a perfect perch atop a light fixture right above our heads. So, at the end of our time in Venice, the crap finally caught up to us.

After a long wait for the train we had a pleasurable ride on a comfortable, air-conditioned car that rocked us to sleep as we read and listened to music. We arrived at Milano Centrale and quickly found our way to Hotel Florida, just across the street from the station. After some rest, we took the Metro to Duomo, a very imposing and magnificent site to behold after walking up 264 steps from our subway stop (we somehow skipped the uscita with the escalator). We were breathless in more than one way. A tour of the area is on the agenda for Friday.

We then went to a large high-end department store for dinner. The restaurant was situated on the top floor and offered an excellent view of the Duomo. Though there was an outdoor garden, we opted for air conditioning under a glass roof.

Tomorrow we are taking a train to visit Varenna, a small town of 800 at the foot of the Alps very close to the Swiss border. Weather reports call for rain, but whatever. We won't be stopped. Ciao!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.284s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0676s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb