Mmmmm Milan...


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Milan
April 6th 2006
Published: April 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

All I have to say is thank God for the person who decided to invent DIRECT TRAINS because we like him A LOT. On the way to Milan we were fortunate enough to take the direct train, which involved no crossovers, no transfers, and no missing connections. We got to Milan pretty late in the afternoon so after making our usual grocery stop we decided to rest up and plan for the next day. Before we called it a night, however, we were able to get in one really amazing meal. We went to a pizzeria where we were instructed to order two specific pasta dishes (because they were the most traditional to that area of Italy and thus had the best flavour). Both entrees were pretty incredible, not to mention how good even the simple bread at the table was.

It's funny how so many big cities in the world are so similar that it can be hard to realize that you're literally accross the globe while you are there. If I were to classify Milan as a city I would say that it is similar to the "New York" of Europe. It was pretty interesting to see one of the centers of industry and fashion in Europe but both Emily and I decided that it's not somewhere either of us could live. A testament to how industrialized the city has become was that we were able to find our hostel based on the landmarks of the various McDonald's placed throughout the city.

We really enjoyed the areas that we saw (including the old castle and the Duomo), had some amazing food (pasta, homemade pizza, and fresh cannolis), and visited another H&M... but we also both decided that the city was too similar to the states and the hostel that we were staying in was not that great either so we cut our time short and decided to leave early for Venice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb