Zurich-Milan-Zurich


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Milan
October 19th 2009
Published: November 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


One weekend, we decided to go to Milan, which I visited some ten years ago, and ever since then I always wanted to go back. What we learned the hard way, is that we are not the only ones who had this idea, and also, if you plan to go through the third longest tunnel in the world (San Gotthardo, 16 km long!) on a Saturday, you better be prepared for a very long queue. So, for the trip that was supposed to be 3-4 hours (300km), it took us 6-7 hours! We decided to return on Monday, not Sunday, which was a wise decision. Apart from the first part of the trip, everything else was great. The weather in Zurich was foggy and rainy, but as soon as we went through the San Gotthard tunnel, the other side, much closer to Italy, was sunny and warm.
Milan was wonderful. The main square with the magnificent Duomo (Milan cathedral), which looks even better now than the last time I saw it, is breathtaking, especially if you climb the stairs all the way up to the roof and take a look at the entire Milan. Yes, I was afraid, as usual, but it was worth it, and somehow it was less scary than just sitting in the London Eye. The only disappointing thing was food in restaurants, mainly because we didn't know where to eat, so we went to restaurants for tourists (you can easily recognize those near Duomo), and apart for paying a bit more, which we expected, the food, namely pasta and pizza, were below average. The only gem we found, because I spent hours on the net searching for a good local patisserie, was a great gelateria, Buonarotti, outside of the usual tourist path (see pics). Also, we stumbled on a small farmer's market near the castle and tried some delicious salami with black truffle. Yummy!
On our way back, we decided to stop in Como, on the lake Como, and enjoy the view sipping real Italian cappuccino. Unfortunately, George Clooney was nowhere in sight, but lots of other things were quite beautiful too. As you'll see here, we took a lot of pictures of Swiss mountains and nature, just because it's really amazing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

SpinningSpinning
Spinning

To have good luck, you must spin on your heel on ths bull's balls
BreakfastBreakfast
Breakfast

Italian or my breakfast :)
SweetsSweets
Sweets

from a street vendor
MarionetteMarionette
Marionette

puppet show - kids were quite engaged and cheered and laughed all the time
In front of GalleriaIn front of Galleria
In front of Galleria

shopping mall/street - Italian style


Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 13; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb