Lake Como Revisited


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Milan
May 16th 2008
Published: May 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Another day, another train trip. We got a later start today as a result of an even later night with Rich. We'd forgotten how long our days can be when visiting my brother. 2:00 am is early to bed. That was me. Jim followed about 4:00 am I think. We spent the earlier part of the evening at a wonderful outdoor rooftop bar filled with big comfy couches overlooking the beautiful spires of the Duomo. They have a happy hour here that begins about 6:00 pm and goes on about as long as you want to keep ordering drinks. The really great thing is that they keep bringing you plates of the most delicious appetizers until dinner seems redundant. Sometimes it's an appetizer buffet to which you help yourself. An idea worth importing!

We took the train back to Lake Como as it is only an hour away and not expensive - about 14 Eros for both of us return. We didn't spend anytime in the town of Como before taking the ferry around the lake the last time. There is a gorgeous lakefront "parade"as the guidebooks refer to it, so we walked as far as we could in one direction, then in the other, past the lovliest villas. We thought we might actually walk right into Switzerland but we ran out of time. The old part of town is full of narrow little streets opening out onto piazzas and some of the most beautiful shops and little bars and restaurants. The inventor of the battery was a famous son of Como, Allessandro Volta, hence the word "volt" abd there is an impressive building in his honour.

Our last day in Milano tomorrow. We're going to a street market, to the contemporary art museum and then finally to the last night of the opera. Jim bought an Italian suit for the occasion - shirt,silk tie, the works. Seeing him in a suit will be almost as monumental as Richard's performance! We'll be leaving Sunday morning for 3 days at Lake Garda when Rich leaves to go back to Toronto. We'll be sorry to leave Milan.

Cheers,

Jennifer

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb