Lake Como


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Lake Como
September 25th 2007
Published: September 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Arriving in VarennaArriving in VarennaArriving in Varenna

Marie, Mike, Marge and Garry.
We slept in, as this would be our last chance before Rome, and then caught two taxis to the central train station. The train station was built by Mussolini and represents Fascist architecture with its huge and imposing style. It definitely makes you feel insignificant. It’s a quick 1-hour train ride from Milan to Varenna and Lake Como, passing by the famous Monza race track.We arrived in Varenna and had our first experience lugging our gear over cobblestones to the hotel (whew!). Laura and I scored the only room with a balcony looking out over Lake Como and had la vista piu bella, although everyone but Garry had a view. We had lunch and gelato at a lakeside café in Varenna looking out across the deep blue water of the lake towards Menaggio. Lake Como reminds me of Lake Tahoe with the breathtaking mountains and the blue indigo color of the lake. The serene atmosphere transcends throughout the towns of Varenna, Menaggio and Bellagio, where shopping and boating are a laid back pastime between meals.We headed to meet our tour group at a 5:00 PM happy hour located on a beautiful terrace over looking the lake. Aside from the seven of us, the other members of our group are: Sara and Linda (Olympia, WA), Dan and Caroline (Pennsylvania Yankee fans!), Sara (now in Tucson, AZ, but once worked with our friend Reid in Apple Valley), Joan and Joanie (AZ), Sara and Catherine (AZ), Roger and Kathy (Costa Mesa, CA) and their friends Troy and Cindy (Henderson, NV), Lowell and Donna (Valley Center, CA) and their friends Mike and Melouise (Truckee, CA), Craig and Cynthia (Baton Rouge, LA) and last but not least, our very knowledgeable Rick Steve’s tour guide Amanda (Chicago, IL when not traveling in Italy).


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Boat ride to MenaggioBoat ride to Menaggio
Boat ride to Menaggio

From the left, Mike, Marge, Marie and Terry and unknown.
Mia Bella Sorellas!Mia Bella Sorellas!
Mia Bella Sorellas!

On the boat ride to Menaggio.
Laura's new place in Bellagio...Laura's new place in Bellagio...
Laura's new place in Bellagio...

You're all welcome to stop in.
Mio fratello e sorella.Mio fratello e sorella.
Mio fratello e sorella.

Refreshing birra after our walk.
The best gelato in Lake Como...The best gelato in Lake Como...
The best gelato in Lake Como...

on the bay in Varenna.
Water bottles appear on all the doors in Varenna...Water bottles appear on all the doors in Varenna...
Water bottles appear on all the doors in Varenna...

after dark they're used to dissuade the gattos from spraying the doors. George and I could have used this when we lived in Hermosa Beach!


25th September 2007

Hyde Park Savings Bank Truman has been enjoying the beautiful pics of Italy! Keep us posted and have a wonderful rest of the trip!
26th September 2007

Comment on Como
I've decided it's easier to post a public comment, so "Hi!" to all who read Chas' great entries! Keep 'em coming, Chas! Love seeing the photos, too! BL
26th September 2007

Hey
WOnderful pics, keep 'em coming.
26th September 2007

Still Jealous
The trip just keeps getting better. Love the sight, love your pictures. Enjoy! ciao!
26th September 2007

Wow
Awesome trip - Thanks for sharing and Wish I was there. Kirk.
27th September 2007

Way to go
We are all enjoying the pictures in the office here and are so jealous of our coworker Garry, but are happy for him and all of you that you are having such a wonderful trip and want to thank you for sharing it with us.

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb