The Processioni


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria » Imperia
July 7th 2008
Published: July 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sacred Heart of Jesus ChurchSacred Heart of Jesus ChurchSacred Heart of Jesus Church

In Bussana, overlooking the Italian Riveria!
Yesterday was a special celebration at one of the churches in Triora, Sant Agostino. We walked from Jennie & Martins flat uphill to the church. Terry and I attended mass there, which was also first communion for 5 boys and 1 girl, so there were many young people in attendance. Many of the young people visited the bar on the street below the church while waiting for mass to end. We understood the creed, Lordàs Prayer and passing of the peace - pache. Some people review their grocery list during the sermon, I reviewed gelatto options because I couldnàt understand a word of the sermon. At the end of the service, the procession through the town with 16 men carrying the platform of Mary and St. Agustine. Luke Germann was one of the people carrying the statues, which he said were very heavy. They walked up a very steep incline, then up another road and made a circle back to the church. Martin has previously participated in carrying the statue of St. John the Baptist, but he had back issues for this procession.

There was also a band, 22 members, playing many marches, which is I guess all they knew.
The ProcessionThe ProcessionThe Procession

Luke helping to carry the statues.
When the statues were returned to the church, there was a feast of panne, fritters with squash, fried ravioli, focaccia, tomato bread and many other wonderful treats. Then we returned home to eat tagiatelle that Jennie had made earlier in the morning, salad capriese, bread, olives and cookies. Then came nap time for Elliot.

Luke also took us up the mountain where he bikes and the views were incredible. It felt like we were on top of the world. Luke has friends up and down the mountain, in the town of Arma di Taggia and the town of Taggia. He has really increased his ability to speak Italian! We met some of his friends today (Monday) in Arma di Taggia. Luke took us also today to the town of Aggia Superiore (which means it is higher than the regular Aggia) and more beautiful views. He bikes up to these towns and is well familiar with the entire area.

The food here is very different from Spain. We do miss the tapas, but it has been a great joy to cook here. Jennie has a pasta table which was left when they bought the flat. It is quite old
Cooking in TrioraCooking in TrioraCooking in Triora

Cooking Italian food in Jennie & Martin-s kitchen.
and the rolling pin has a special slot at the back of the marble topped table. The table is just generally useful for all types of cooking. I tried to duplicate the carrot dish and it tasked more Italian than the dish I had in Spain! We have eaten many different types of fresh pasta. One evening we had a feast of mussles steamed in white wine and huge prawns (which Iàm not sure we prepared correctly). Jennie purchased the mussels and prawns for 8 Euro for all. I have prepared many dishes of tomatoes and fresh mozarella and basil. Luke and I took a long walk and found wild rosemary, thyme, and anise growing along the way. Luke found a very large wild rosemary bush, currently being choked by a vine. We plan to go tomorrow and pull out the vine so that the rosemary can flourish!

Luke has found many derelict buildings that he wants to restore. One part of the village of Triora was bombed by Germany in WWII and the people of the village talk about WWII as if it were yesterday. They also do not much go to that part of the village. Walking
Band Outside ChurchBand Outside ChurchBand Outside Church

This 22-person band played before church in the piazza, then after the service while people feasted.
around the village is a joy because of the views at every turn.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

TrioraTriora
Triora

From the church of Sant Agostino.
ProcessionProcession
Procession

Elliot participating with Nonna and Papa in the Procession of Mary.


9th July 2008

Marvelous!
I've just read your entire travel blog beginning at the beginning, enjoying every entry and every picture. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I'm impressed that you put all this together so well. Pastor Terry, let us know when you preach in "your" pulpit as pictured, and we'll make every effort to be there. Susan, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned learning to prepare gelatto! Blessings to you. Becky

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb