The Cinque Terre, Italy - a special place!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria » Cinque Terre
July 2nd 2014
Published: July 4th 2014
Edit Blog Post




If you like my blog, please leave a comment in the appropriate section. Thanks.



I have to credit Rick Steeves for letting the Cinque Terre capture my imagination, especially the village of Vernazza. Once I saw the picture of this quaint village, I wanted to pack my bags. And that is what we eventually did. As we boarded our Turkish Airlines plane in Istanbul for Genoa, I was not to know that some surprises awaited us. Everyone I had met before who had visited the area, raved about it.

We first had to decide where to base ourselves and finally decided on the the town of La Spezia, located south of the Cinque Terre but giving us both train and sea access to the five villages.

Once in La Spezia, we headed off to find our inn and were warmly greeted by Maria, the owner who answered all our questions. One of our customary enquiries is "Can you recommend good local places to eat where tourists do not frequent?" You would be amazed at the wonderful eating experiences we have had in many countries because of that question. La Spezia was no different. In fact the place she suggested was owned by fishermen and the menu was the catch of the day plus other favourites like Lasagna, depending on what the kitchen prepared on the day. We ended up eating at the Dai Pescatori three times and had great octopus, squid and mussels. Every time we were there, the line extended across the street and was mostly filled with Italians.

After a most pleasant night's sleep, we took the local train to the furthest point on the Cinque Terre, Monterosso. Umbrellas lined the long pebbled beach and many vacationers were already enjoying the Mediterranean Sea when we got there. It was a beautiful place that Jeanette immediately liked. We opted to take the sea route back and visit the other villages on the way, stopping where we wanted to. As it turned out, several ferries plied the route but not all stopped at every village which worked fine for us because they were all most beautiful from the sea anyway. Cornigilia was perched high up on the cliff and must have offered the best protection from marauding pirates long ago. We enjoyed it from tbe boat and decided not to take the long climb to the top.

We opted not to stop at Manarola but that did not prevent our absolute enjoyment of its beauty from the sea.

As we rounded a small peninsular and entered the next bay, Riomaggiore slowly came into view, growing more impressive with each dip of the boat's bow. We both loved what we saw and disembarked with the others, took lots of pictures and simply enjoyed being there. I wondered what the locals thought, for as much as visitors bring much needed revenue, it must still be a disruption to their simple daily way of life at the edge of the sea. It was an impressive village that certainly lived up to our expectations. There was no beach but just a single street which ended at the water as a boat launch area - spectacular, unique, enchanting!

We had planned our lunch for the village that first enticed us to the area, Vernazza. Actually on our way up from Genoa we sat next to a student travelling back home to La Spezia from Milan and in answer to our usual question recommended a restaurant in Vernazza. An only child with dreams of living in New York, a city she has often visited, she must have misunderstood our request for an out of the way non-tourist place, and not that we minded, but we ended up probably exactly where Rick Steves would have suggested - outdoors, right on Vernazza's beach. And so we had another great meal, though priced appropriately for the prime location that it occupied and wonderful!

Sitting there enjoying our lunch, watching visitors with their cameras working overtime, some licking gelato or shopping for souvenirs, I felt like pinching myself to make sure that I was awake and not dreaming.

Eventually it was time to leave, so we boarded the ferry once again but on Jeanette's usually brilliant suggestion we made a stop at Porto Venere. And what a gem of a surprise it was. Tucked in at the west side of the huge bay that houses a naval base, many homes, boats and of course La Spezia, this stop before returning "home" had an atmosphere that was all its own. There were older buildings mixed in with the more modern and many interesting pleasure boats were either moored or at anchor nearby. Settling at a table on the water's edge, we sipped our expresso and just relaxed enjoying the peaceful ambience. We watched as an expensive and lovely looking flat inflatable craft approached, its 250 horse power outboard engine purring quietly as its grey haired captain braced alongside, next to us. Out jumped a lady who quickly returned with some gelato for the other two, one being a little fellow who gleefully accepted the delight. Then she was off again on another quick quest. Returning with a shopping bag, she boarded and the boat sped away, disappearing to the far inner side of the bay. Isn't that the life?

Reluctantly, we left to catch the last ferry "home" to La Spezia, passing moored naval vessels and yet more yachts, finally berthing just feet from our favourite restaurant, Dai Pescatori. As we took the inevitably long line that stretched across the street, the aroma of cooking sea food filled the air, driving my appetite to the limit of my patience. I was hoping that mussels would be on the menu and to my delight they were. Jeanette opted for stewed octopus which, truthfully, was nowhere as good as the grilled ones we enjoyed in Greece. On the other hand, my meal was delicate and a real joy. I counted 41 of the tasty sea creatures.

As our evening came to an end, we took the familiar stroll to our apartment, past well lit shops, cafes, and families walking the pedestrianized street with their children and dogs. We remarked to each other how much we enjoyed this recent second visit to Italy. Even the little grocery store in our block with its surprising variety of products including great fresh baked bread, friendly helpful employees and the constantly singing deli attendant, leave us with very fond memories of a place that we thoroughly enjoyed.

Next morning - the train to the French Riviera!


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Checking out the day's menu.Checking out the day's menu.
Checking out the day's menu.

Menue varied based on the catch of the day.
Enchanting Riomaggiore.Enchanting Riomaggiore.
Enchanting Riomaggiore.

Note the single street that ends at the water's edge.
RiomaggioreRiomaggiore
Riomaggiore

A fishing and visitor oriented community.
RiomaggioreRiomaggiore
Riomaggiore

A real favourite.
CornigiliaCornigilia
Cornigilia

Steps lead from the sea up to the village.


7th July 2014

Italy
The joys of Italy include the people and the amazing foods. You've documented some amazing scenery. Eager to see more.
7th July 2014

Really?
Hi Roger, brought back lovely memories of the Cinque Terre which we did about 4 years ago, but I can't believe you didn't do the walk?
8th July 2014

Time constraint.
Bearing in mind that we were on a seven week vacation and still had much still to do afterwards, we planned it that way. In any case, we had traversed so very many steep steps and had already done so much walking that we opted for the train and boat instead and were very happy that we did.
8th July 2014

Well Roger and Jeanette, my dear friends, "world traveler" would be a more appropriate email address for you two; I am enjoying your trip vicariously, thanks for sharing. Just shows you what heaven must be like, if part of the world can be so fantastic. I have no idea how you are going to make the transition to normal living after all that. But continue to enjoy and keep safe. Blessings
13th July 2014

Such a beautiful time you had. My time of vacation ... feeling the rhythm of the destination
15th July 2014

cinque terre
I love your enthusiasm and zest for life. It is wonderful
8th August 2014
Mussels with stewed octopus in background.

Great pictures
Hi Roger. Just had the chance to look at a few of your pictures from Italy and particularly the Cinque Terre. Wow great shots. Makes me want to go back!!

Tot: 0.388s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 19; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0849s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb