Tranquil Tivoli


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Tivoli
March 7th 2009
Published: March 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today IES offered us a free field trip to a small town just outside of Rome. I was glad to accept this trip and have read much about it in my Italy travel book which acts as a bible on my night stand and can always be found within a few feet of my person at any given time.

We departed for Tivoli first and our first stop was the Ancient Villa Andrianna at the bottom of the hill Tivoli is located on. This villa once belonged to Emperor Hadrian and is now a site of ruins as far as the eye can see. The land is kept very well with scattered lakes (used as baths and pools) along with statues and other interesting ruins. This place was beautiful to walk around in the lucky 60 degree weather we had this morning.

The second villa is known as Villa D'Este and is located at the top of the hill in Tivoli itself. After we had a short lunch break we entered the gardens in the early afternoon. This ancient yet modern villa is a must see for anyone visiting Rome for any significant amount of time! Lined with 100s of fountains and waterfalls including one that plays music by water falling on an organ in specific patterns is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. We enjoyed taking neat pictures, the company of friends, and just living in the moment. I hope you have as much fun looking at the pictures as we did navigating the ancient and magnificent water garden.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



16th March 2009

Fountains
Alfred, wow, we want to visit there, hopefully this trip. I was thinking germs from the drinking fountain, did you make a bet....lol....You and Laura look great, God Bless you both, hope to see you soon. Lots of Love #3

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0787s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb