Stations of the Cross


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Friuli-Venezia Giulia
April 10th 2009
Published: May 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today is Good Friday and the church in the village is doing their rendition of “Stations of the Cross” tonight. We spent most of the day at the house we are staying in before heading over to the farm in the early afternoon. It was a beautiful day and Joshua and six year old Francesco seemed to overcome their language barrier somewhat playing soccer. Before dinner, Evy's Uncle Giovanin drove me out to show me the fields where Luigi was running the tractor planting the corn crop. I rode a length of the field with him and got to see a bit of the operation.

After dinner, we headed out to find the “Stations of the Cross” procession. The whole village seems to get involved in this with various people tending lines of lit candles out in front of their houses.

When we reached the gathering point, the set up was quite elaborate with a digital projector and screen mounted on a large cart in order to show an accompanying slide show. The route took us up and through the old narrow streets with the stops along the way where the details of that station were explained in Friulano. The procession ended in the church which was packed to standing room only.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0715s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb