Italy... you might want to read this before you go


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Friuli-Venezia Giulia » Pordenone
April 30th 2009
Published: April 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

As an American living in Italy, I have the opportunity to see Italy, the Italians and their EU neighbors in a light that few natives are willing to admit. Many have dreamt of traveling abroad to absorb the beauty of the gondolas in Venice, the Sistine Chapel in Rome, the vineyards of Tuscany and awe at the beauty of Piancovallo atop to Dolomite Mountains; myself included. The country offers beautiful, picturesque sites that constantly surround you, regardless of the region of Italy you’re traveling through. I have filled my camera many times just driving from my home to one of the open air markets held 7 days a week. What we fail to see on the travel channels, magazines and brochures are the true colors of Italy.
The country is plagued with thieves, pickpockets, hooligans, corruption and a general air of contempt toward all non-Italians. The gypsies written about in myth and legend are not the creation of some fantasy novel as many think. A gypsy is real and a matter of concern. They will go out of their way to target tourists, or any target of opportunity for that matter. They travel like hyenas through the Serengeti, in small packs all working together to screen the actions of the others, only to finally swoop in for a group attack. They will take your money, jewelry, passports, clothes and any other thing they can get their hands on. To add to their deception, gypsies generally don’t utilize men in their thievery. The women of the pack are the most skilled of the group, using their sly cunning to make their way close, distract you, then rob you.
Residents of Italy are no safer. My house has personally been targeted by people asking for assistance or posing as a salesman/woman. If you are not prepared and open your door, they have been known to push in the door and rob your house or hotel room while you watch. Why can you only watch you might ask? Because the Italian government does not allow for protection of personal property. Unless your life is threatened you cannot defend your property… and if you do, prison awaits. The gypsies know this law and exploit it. If you are lucky enough to catch on in the act, the local police and Carabanari are often slow to react, so be ready to detain the thief for several minutes.
With these personal experiences I’m sharing with you, I pass on these words of wisdom. If you are to travel to Italy, you can help protect yourself by doing the following:
Keep your eyes open, but don’t look suspicious! You will single yourself out as a target of opportunity.
Be weary of people trying to befriend you, especially Romanians (the primary nationality of the gypsies)
Keep your hotel locked and do not leave any personal affects out in the open
Only take with you what is absolutely essential to enjoy your travels for a while.
Keep a “false wallet” visible, even put a few euro in it to entice the thief if you do fall prey, keep your ID, passport and other money someplace where you can always keep your hand on it. (There are sites where you can buy calf wallets to protect your belongings). A rubber band around the wallet helps as well
Blend in with the locals as best you can, meaning your dress and appearance.
All and all, you can have a wonderful time in Italy if you are ready, alert and aware of your surroundings and do not leave yourself open to become a statistic.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0992s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb