Sorrento


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Sorrento
February 8th 2011
Published: February 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Attempt, if you dare, the drive into Sorrento. We felt like we were on a bombing run in the Death Star trench, with tie-fighters (aka high-speed mopeds) whizzing past us on all sides. The directions we had were very basic: take “this” highway to “this” exit and follow the signs to Sorrento. So we did... until we arrived at the first intersection. We checked for the sign toward Sorrento, but unfortunately, it was mixed in with 19 other signs all pointing in different directions. So, we went right and followed the coastal road. By the grace of God we made it.

We were very happy to call Sorrento our home base for several days. Our hotel was nestled in the hills above the city, offering a great view and easy access to the town center. The dining options were reasonable and tasty, and the position of the city offered great day tripping. For Joe, it was particularly special, as his ancestors came from Sorrento. We even managed to track down a local bar which bears the family name of Sessa. In inquiring about the bar, we learned that Sessa was a town in Italy after which the family was named. So it’s possible there may be some distant relation... or none at all.


Advertisement



11th February 2011

Sorrento Italy
We spent a few days in Sorrento a couple of years ago and we loved it. We also stayed in a hotel up on top of a big hill. I wonder if it was the same one?
12th February 2011

hotel aminta
Mike, thanks for the comment. The place I stayed at was the Grand Hotel Aminta and it was a real awesome place. The room was clean with a view. They offered complimentary parking and a shuttle into and from town. Finally the staff could not be more helpful.

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb