39th Day: Assisi - Capri - Sorrento


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Sorrento
July 11th 2008
Published: July 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

This day was extremely hot and I loved it.

The main highlight of the day was the Isle of Capri. We drove from Assisi to Naples where we caught a ferry that took us to the island. The trip took about 45 minutes, it usually takes double this but we were on a jet ferry. We lathered on the sunscreen on the ferry because the sun was out in full force.

Once we got to Capri, because we had decided to do the optional tour we boarded a tiny bus and made our way to the high up on one of the mountains of Capri. My god what a ride!! The driver drove at top speed despite the narrow windy roads and having to pull over whenever a car was coming in the opposite direction. Around the first bend we got very close to colliding with a bus coming from the opposite direction. It was scary but exhilarating, especially when we got higher and you could see straight down the cliff face. One of the guys on the tour, Ray kept making very funny jokes about how the funeral car could get up here etc.. Maybe you had to be there but the comments were hilarious.

When we finally got to our destination though it was definitely worth it. We were at a restaurant that was high up on the cliff face and secluded so it was really peaceful. It had absolutely magnificent views as well. We had a short lunch up there sitting with Maria and Frank.

We then made the trip half way back down the mountain. Everyone was a bit nervous after the trip up there but it wasn't bad at all. The lcoal tour guide then escorted us to the other side of the island to the Gardens of Augustus and they were beautiful, so green. at the end of the garden was a lookout where you could see the Faraglioni Rocks just off the shore. It was an absolutely stunning view.

We then had some free time where we did a little bit of wondering around the shops but didn't buy anything. We then made our way to the bottom of the island using the cable cars.

From Capri we caught a ferry directly to Sorrento where we were staying for the night. We had another interesting bus trip to our hotel, unfortunately in was too far away from the town itself for us to go exploring. The hotel did have pool though and I went for a beautiful swim before dinner. At the pool there were two little Italian kids playing as well, they were trying to talk to me but of course I had no idea what they were saying. Then at one point the little boy who was probably 3 or 4 yrs old tried to undo the string of my bikini bottoms! It was really funny.. the Italians start young ;-)

Dinner was at the hotel and was nice. After dinner we went on to the roof top and there was a magnificent view of Sorrento from there. After spending a little time up there it was off to bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb