Torna a Ravello


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Ravello
April 11th 2013
Published: April 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The last time we were in Ravello was when we came here a few years ago with Jan and Robert. Ravello sits up very high above the Gulf of Salerno at an elevation of about 1200 feet. Founded in the 5th century and formerly an important wool-producing town, it is chiefly now known as a tourist destination, listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site. It is renowned for its beauty and its ceramics. Wagner reportedly used the scenery as inspiration for Parsifal, and local legend has it that Satan chose this location to show Jesus the beauty of the world during his second temptation. Formerly the home of many wealthy Italian families, it contains several large villas that are now tourist destinations. The large pots in our entryway are from Ravello.

We drove the 23 km (12 miles but 45 minutes) and found that parking was €5 per hour with a maximum of 2 hours, so elected to forego the villas and just do some ceramic shopping and eat lunch.

Dinner was at Buca di Bacco, few here we have usually stayed in the past. We are here somewhat before the tourist season, so the diners consisted of one other couple and us. Hi would feel more guilt over eating dessert if it weren't for the fact that was followed by a 900 m climb back up several hundred feet in elevation to the hotel.

Tomorrow: Capri


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



12th April 2013

Ravello
We loved hiking to Ravello - I have some beautiful pictures of grapevines hanging over arbors with the sun shining through. I regret not purchasing any pottery!! As for Capri, you know and I know your wallet isn't safe with Jennie! LOL ;-) Hugs to all wish me and Na were with you!!!!!!!!!!!

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb