my amalfi drive


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Amalfi
April 8th 2005
Published: November 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Travelling from Naples airport down to Amalfi must be one of top ten drives you can imagine. From the sweeping Bay of Naples to the sheer drop of the cliffs along the Amalfi coastline there is enough scenery of sheer beauty to take away anyones breath.First call was the historical Roman ruins at Pompeii with its magnificent roads and architecture,columns and remnants ,I spent the morning but could have easily stayed all day,best way to see Pompeii is on your own or in couples , a local guide will offer his services but are costly (and pushy)so amble round in your own time. Onto Sorrento for a couple of nights b/b at Hotel De La Ville with a great rooftop pool over looking the Bay of Naples and the threatening Mount Vesuvius and in the distance the Isle of Ischia. There are plenty of traditional cafes and restaurants whose prices are more reasonable than you would expect,a Cappucino for instance was between £1.80 to £2.00 which compares favourably back in England. Onto the drive itself, winding south towards Amalfi high cliffs one side,sheer drops into the sea the other side with spectacular views out to sea (green blue turquoise in colour). On each bend a convex mirror so you can see what is coming around the corner! Not for the faint hearted,but well worth it. Half way there comes the wonderful village of Positano clinging to the hillside down to its small beach ,visited by the rich and famous its quite exclusive really.Amalfi itself is traditional with a hint of the present with exclusive designer shopping or the beautiful cathedral with its huge steps upto the ornate engraved doors (resting place of St Andrew) make it an interesting visit.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb