The Amazing Amalfi Coast


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Amalfi
September 9th 2008
Published: May 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to the second instalment of the Italian Adventures of Hannahina & Jamesone, as they make their way from Sicily, north through Italy.
They’ve made it to Naples and are now spending a few days along the magical Amalfi Coast: swimming, wining and dinning their away into a bit of mid holiday luxury.
The adventure continues following their early arrival into Naples from the night train, where Hannahlina & Jamesone decided they had just enough time to check out the Greek temples at Paestum….

The train dropped us off in the middle of nowheresville, with only a poxy map near the station showing us a rough concept of where things might be located. But there’s nothing like a good challenge first thing in the morning!
We found the temples, which actually turned out to be the ruins of a whole village, including three reasonably intact Greek temples. Some of the houses even had some of their mosaic floors still visible. Meanwhile, James had stumbled upon some of the local wildlife - namely a snake! Ekk!
From here on in I was watching my every step, so scared I’d come even vaguely close to one!

Thankfully it was time to
Paestum - The Temple of AthenaPaestum - The Temple of AthenaPaestum - The Temple of Athena

One of three Greek temples still standing on this site
jump back on the train to Salerno and go to where we had come to see: The Amalfi Coast!
The bus ride itself was very scenic as we were winding our way along the cliff top road and got glimpses right along the jagged coastline. We passed village after little village full of brightly coloured villas perched on any bit of land or cliff - where engineering limits are put to the test.

We arrived in the village of Atrani and scaled down the stairs to the streets below. It was a wee little village with just one pub and a couple of local restaurants. Our hotel was tucked away through the various alleyways of white-wash stairs and buildings so typical of this area.
Lucky for us we arrived right on time for happy hour at the local bar, and had what James would describe as ‘easily the best pina-colada for miles!’ Which meant there was only one more thing left to do: go for a swim!

We walked along the coastal road to the next town, Amalfi, to have dinner at a little family owned Italian restaurant. In the evenings these villages are just as magical as
Almalfi by nightAlmalfi by nightAlmalfi by night

The lights looked so pretty all along the coastline
their orangey-hazy lights lit up little pockets of the coastline.

Our next day on the peninsular was spent swimming at another village: Maiori (just becuase it sounded like Maori) having another brilliant pina-colada, and then catching a rather over-full bus with our backpacks around the winding coastal road further down the peninsula to Positano - one of the key destinations along the Amalfi Coast.

When we checked into our hotel they said we had the best room in the place: and they were right! We were the only ones who had a proper deck, complete with sun loungers, that overlooked the rest of Positano and the coast. They even brought breakfast up for us each morning to have on the deck!

Positano was very pretty, though quite a steep village, with plenty of boutique shops to keep me happy - even a boutique bakery: yum!
Unfortunately I (and to some extent James) had picked up some kind of food poisoning, so were not able to eat much of all this glorious food at the lovely Italian restaurants (which I had been looking forward to so much!). So a day at the beach was just want the doctor
Marina Grande of the Isle of CapriMarina Grande of the Isle of CapriMarina Grande of the Isle of Capri

Ablaze with brightly coloured buildings all along the waterfront ...
ordered.

Our two nights in Positano seemed to go quite quickly, and we caught another bus (which invariable ran on ‘island time’) to Sorrento on the north side of the peninsula.
Our main aim was to visit the Isle of Capri, just off the end of the peninsula.
The port where we arrived on the island, ‘Marina Grande,’ was a blaze with brightly coloured buildings all along the waterfront with people and boats everywhere. We took a boat tour right around the island, it was so lovely to be back on the water (instantly transported back home again). We saw all sorts of interesting features around the island, including the ‘green grotto’ an open cave-like area with water so green it shone.

Not surprisingly, after looking at all this water, James and I were both desperate for a swim, and as it would be the last swim of the trip before we head further north. We had to take what we could get:.. so rocky beach: here we come!

Gelato Telly: 5
Check out more Photos



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Rural ItalyRural Italy
Rural Italy

More Greek ruins at Paestum
The Coastal RoadThe Coastal Road
The Coastal Road

Driving along the Amalfi Coast
Beautiful PositanoBeautiful Positano
Beautiful Positano

with all the brightly coloured buildings
PositanoPositano
Positano

Pearched on the cliff
The Green GrottoThe Green Grotto
The Green Grotto

an amazing view!
Hole in the rockHole in the rock
Hole in the rock

Our boat trip around the Isle of Capri


24th July 2010
The Little Village of Atrani

so cute girl

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb