In the Partially Sunny Fields of Paestum


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Calabria
April 20th 2009
Published: April 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It's Greek to meIt's Greek to meIt's Greek to me

The size of the temples at Paestum is pretty impressive and definitely worth a visit
10th day - Monday
We headed off to visit the Greek temples at Paestum this morning. I wasn’t feeling especially well as I didn’t get a good night of sleep. Terri & Sam were by now both fully recuperated. I think that we had experienced a type of 24 hour bug because I started to feel better as the day progressed, or whatever we ate that didn’t agree with us had finally worked its way through our systems.
It was a partially sunny day somewhat on the cool side and visiting Paestum was a more enjoyable experience compared to the incredibly hot day the first time Beth and I had been there.
We drove back toward Castellabtate and and briefly stopped in Agripoli. We stopped along the beachfront promenade. I sat on a park bench taking in some sun and snoozing while the other three went off in search of bar to have a snack.
It was an unsuccessful search since it was already past lunch time. When they returned, Beth reported that she had just eaten what could possibly be the worst panino in Italy.
We then headed up to the mountain top village of Castellabate. It is always fascinating
Excellent temps for strolling aboutExcellent temps for strolling aboutExcellent temps for strolling about

Looking at this column made me wonder why some things survive over time and others don't?
that these villages were constructed in such small confined spaces. As I looked at the old buildings, I wondered how they survive any earthquakes as they appear to be susceptible to collapse during such an event. Still it was pretty interesting to have such a view from the hilltop and wandering the little alleys that lead to people’s homes.
We headed back to our apartments for late afternoon nap. Later that evening we headed down to the waterfront/port area of San Marco to a restaurant that the landlord had recommended. We initially had headed to another recommended restaurant, but as we walked up we became aware of a terrific din coming from inside the restaurant. It was children’s birthday party; we all simultaneously said “Ok…we aren’t eating here!”
Italians are having few children and those few are…ummm…spoiled. Maybe I’m just getting old and cranky but Sam seemed to share that observation as well.
Our dinner was very good and once again we were the only customers as we were there unfashionably tourista early…sigh.
Note: The recent earthquake in L’Aquila is very sad and indicative of the danger of old buildings during earthquakes. Will this deter me from looking to stay
Engineering featsEngineering featsEngineering feats

I bet there was quite a bit of math involved in constructing these edifices.
in old historical centres? Nah, when it is your time, it’s your time regardless of where you are. That is my philosophy.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The straight & narrowThe straight & narrow
The straight & narrow

This is a damn fine road!
Peek-a-booPeek-a-boo
Peek-a-boo

The lizard not taking any chances on the large creature with one eye standing over him!
Cool shades of colorCool shades of color
Cool shades of color

The lizards were unfazed by all the tourists.
In CastellabateIn Castellabate
In Castellabate

Al likes exploring out-of-the-way backstreets in medieval towns. It is like stepping back in time.
The old quarterThe old quarter
The old quarter

There are about 300 person living in the old quarter according to a nice old guy that chatted with me.


Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb