Otranto to Vieste - 22nd to 28th May 2012.


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Apulia » Vieste
May 27th 2012
Published: May 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

May 2012 - Otranto to Vieste


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!

OUR HOLIDAY 2012




Otranto to Vieste




22nd to 28th May 2012



Tuesday 22nd May 2012.

Packed up and after having to go to multi bank for cash as the eftpos machine at campsite was not working, we headed out on the road again.

We took the coast road from Otranto to Brindisi – lovely coast line and quiet.

Then headed inland and started using the TomTom. It took us again into narrow streets in the town and nearly took off several rear vision mirrors – bloody parking by locals, cars sticking out into the streets - very normal.

Since we had decided to go via small towns, we wound up and over hills and dale – very scenic and narrow roads, but it must be OK as trucks and buses use them.

As we get closer to the camp site in Alberobello, we see more and more Trulli houses. Trulli houses in Alberobello are now listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage site.

Set up camp and have dinner and relax for the evening.

Wednesday 23rd May 2012.

Tom noticed the wiring for the scooter rack has been dragging on the ground whilst driving. On closer look, some wire has worn through, but there is enough cable to cut and reattach socket – so no worries ( I don’t know how we would survive if Tom was not so capable of fixing many things along our travels – it would take time trying to find someone to do the fixing and more money to get the problems sorted out).

Up and wait for the shuttle bus to go into town – thought it ran between 9 and 12. Wrongo – I (Gaye) read the information wrong – it runs at 9 and 12. I think the manager thought ‘dumb blonde’, and takes pity on us and drives us into town – a 10 minute drive at the most.

Then we walk and walk and walk. We visit the Museum of Oil, The Museum of Territorio, the Church of St.Anthony and the Trullo Sovrano. A local invites us nd all other tourists who pass by to come in and have a look around in her home and take photos (not sure if this is run by the local council) as she did not ask for money and we did not offer. It is an original Trulli house and set up for habitation. Many Trulli houses have symbols painted on them – this dates back to pagan times and then Christian times.

Bought some more cherries from a local and wandered some more.

Tom found a fridge magnet and I found a 4” tile of Trulli houses. Another tile to add to my collection.

The whole day was sunny, windy and quite warm in the sun, but sitting in the shade it was cool.

Back to pick up point at 3pm to wait for the shuttle bus back to campsite which doesn’t come until 4pm. Have a drink whilst waiting. There were other campers also waiting for the shuttle bus.

Back to camper and plan our day for tomorrow at the caves.

Thursday 24th May 2012.

It rained all night so thought today might be a day for playing cards, but in the morning it was not too bad so off on the scooter to Castellana to see the Grotte di Castellan. Tom not very good at understanding directions
23.5.12 - Alberobello - Trulli houses23.5.12 - Alberobello - Trulli houses23.5.12 - Alberobello - Trulli houses

Note the symbols painted on the roof
(Italian anyhow), but we found our way there - about 20kms from campsite.

Very popular and quite a few tourists around from Europe as it is still low season here. Cost us €15 each for the tour at 11am with a guide speaking good English and a rear guard (to make sure people don’t dilly dally) who spoke reasonable English.

The main cave is 60m high, 100m long and 50m wide with a hole in top and then there is 1.5km of pathway to the last cave called The White Cave. All the stalactites and stalagmites are white because the water has to travel a very long way to get there, so there is only water and carbonic acid and no other minerals to colour the dissolved limestone.

The walk back was for 1km following the same route then another route which is parallel to the one that we came in on. A really good tour and there were lifts to take us out which is a bonus as there would have been a lot of elderly people stuck there as it had been a steep descent of 60 metres by stairs. A good tour and worth seeing.

It was 1.30pm so we have lunch.

Then home on scooter – did OK as only had to look for the signs to Alberobello – all good.

Friday 25th May 2012.

I go to the office to check out and pay and the gentleman gave us a large photo poster of Trulli houses and it looks like it is set in the early 1900’s. A great campsite, very clean and well set out – ‘Camping de Trulli’.

We head out to Castel del Monte. We arrive and have fun working out which car park they want us to park in as we were given not very good directions.

The castle is 2 massive stories high and based on an octagonal design. Very impressive even with its bare walls. It would have been great to see it in all its glory in the 1300-1400. The building is world heritage under UNESCO.

We then head off to Vieste.

We went through some isolated back roads but quite wide – 1 lane each way and then onto the Gargano Peninsula where Vieste is the most eastern point on the Peninsula. On the map it looked like a coastal drive – Wrongo – very mountainous and winding road. Not too narrow but fun when big/long trucks and buses come the other way, especially on the bends. The scenery was spectacular. Then we arrive at Vieste. There is campsite after campsite, thousands of umbrellas and deck chairs. Obviously a very popular spot during the summer. We find the campsite we have selected – right on the beach. There are mostly Germans in the campsite, with a few Austrians and Dutch people. Everyone is wearing swimming costumes, budgie smugglers and the water is OK for Tom to swim – I just go half way. The campsite is having a special price until 30th June of only €14 per night including electricity and they have great showers - marvelous how a hot shower can be so special. We will stay 4 nights and soak up sun before heading inland and to the mountains in the National Park.

Saturday 26th May 2012.

Not happy Jan. Loud music woke us up at 3am. I put in my ear plugs but could still hear it. Grrrrrrrr. Tom being half deaf goes back to sleep.

Tom gets up at 6.30am and goes for a 2 hour ride on MTB. He gets back and I had only just woken up. We go down for a swim after brekkie.

Then the fruit and veggie vendor comes by in his little 3 wheeler truck. Music blaring out loud so all the campers know is there. We buy tomatoes, eggplants, onions, zucchini, nectarines – all for €4. There is also a fish vendor there in his little truck and we buy some fresh fish for dinner €5.

Then we find a small supermarket just down the road. Home for a swim and lunch.

We went into town on the scooter to tourist information office and he was very helpful – gave us maps and a book. Gaye purchased new joggers as she had forgotten to pack hers .

Back to motorhome to cook up the fish for dinner.

Sunday 27th May 2012.

Up at 6am to get ready to go for a boat ride to see Grotte (caves). It was great. Glad we went on the morning trip as it started to get more windy on the return journey.

We wander around the old part of the town for a while. There was only one thing we wanted to see, and that was ‘Chainghe Amère’ which is where in 1554, Vieste was ransacked by Dorgut rè-is, and all those people who are disable and old not fit for ransom or for slavery were executed on a stone and since then the stone has been called ‘Chianghe Amère’ which means the ‘bitter stone’. There is a lot of this in this area as we are only 60km across the sea from Albania – the same as in Otranto as in previous blog.

Back home for lunch and a lazy afternoon in the sun.

The gas bottle ran out of gas in the middle of dinner so had to microwave the spaghetti. Worked OK.

Monday 28th May 2012.

Tom had all good intentions of going for a MTB this morning – nup – got up and decided he needed more sleep.

Up for the day and Tom went to the little supermarket down the road and bought fresh bread rolls for breakfast, across to the campsite office and asked them to call the gas bottle man. He arrived not long after and took our empty gas bottle away and returned in an hour with all full, so we are now right for a while. €25.

Lazy day with me printing out our diary, sorting out brochures and post cards and getting it ready for postage home. Soaking up some sun. We did a skype with Megan and Sharmayne (how we miss them).

Off to dinner at the restaurant down the road. Nice pizzas –huge. Back home to bed. Heading out in the morning towards The National Park d’Abruzzo – it’s going to be cold. High up in the mountains. Brrrrr. Hope I have soaked up enough sun to keep me going. !!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb