Pizza In Italy and a Day Full Of Roman Ruins


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Aosta Valley » Aosta
August 21st 2008
Published: August 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Once again I decided to hop in the car, this time with my friend Laurie, and go on yet a new adventure. As we were both craving real pizza, we decided to take a trip over to the Aoste Valley in Italy. We found ourselves at border control (the Italians are much more conscientious than the French about this) and the entrance to the Great Saint Bernard Tunnel, the most ancient pass through the Western Alps. There is evidence of its use as far back as the Bronze Age, and that it was the path of Napoleon's army into Italy in 1800. It had the feeling of the Lincoln Tunnel, but not quite, considering Napoleon walked around there!

Upon arriving in Italy we drove through a number of quaint villages and truly felt like we were in Italy. Aoste is a medium size village, with remnants remaining of the fortification walls. We viewed the Porta Praetoria, the oldest Roman door in existence, which was an entrance gate into the village. The Arch of Augustus was built during the foundation of the village, 25 B.C., as a symbol of the Roman victory of the Salassians. Although there are no pictures of the Roman Cryptoprotico, it was an amazing site ... a building partly below ground level, built at the time of Augustus and used mainly to compensate the height difference of the ground and the adjacent cathedral. Finally, we stumbled upon the old Roman theatre which dates back to the Augustan Age as well. Much of it has been destroyed over the years, but that which remains intact was almost more amazing than the Coliseum.

On a lighter note, we wandered the typically Italian streets, had pizza and gelato in the sun and drank water from a lion's head fountain. I honestly adore Italy, and know that I will spend time there again in the future (I must actually!)

There is nothing like spending yet another day in another country!



Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb