First look for the island - Douglas


Advertisement
Isle of Man's flag
Europe » Isle of Man » Douglas
July 8th 2010
Published: July 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Isle of ManIsle of ManIsle of Man

A triskelion on the isle of Man's flag.
We arrived to Douglas (Manx: Doolish) at the afternoon and first object that attracted our attension was Tower of Refuge. This is a small fairy tale castle shaped shelter build for sailors whose have could refuge until any help could arrive and take them to port. Main reason why the building was build were numerous shipwrecks in the Douglas Bay - ships were were wrecked upon the semi-submerged rocks.

We heard previously or red anywhere this is possible to get to Tower of Refuge at the low tide. We had copied accurate time when the high and low tides occures we could plan exactly when we can get there. Both of us: me and my buddy Paweł are RPG freaks and this small fantasy-like shelter separated from land by rising tidy enhanced our imagination. We attended to come back at different day for seesighting in Douglas and obviously to visit in Tower of Refuge.

We found a bus station and got into bus number 5 towards Peel where we were spending all of night in hotel.

Name of the Isle of Man in Manx language sounds like elves language from Lord of the Rings - Ellan Vannin. Sounds splendid.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Isle of Man Isle of Man
Isle of Man

From long distance
Isle of Man Isle of Man
Isle of Man

From lond distance
Isle of ManIsle of Man
Isle of Man

Tower of Refuge from long distance - Douglas visible at the background.
Isle of ManIsle of Man
Isle of Man

Tower of Refuge from long distance - Douglas visible at the background.


Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb