Crossing the Border


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Mayo » Westport
August 7th 2007
Published: August 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Driving around Ireland certainly isn’t as bad as driving in Australia - there is a lot more to see for starters! But today, we had a bit of a boring drive - through Sligo and onto Westport. We didn’t stop much along the way, and after a quick visit to the Tourist Info Centre to book our accommodation, we split up and went our separate ways.

Ryan and KB wanted to check out the coastal sights, while Iz and I were more than happy to take the more direct route, straight into Westport. This is a charming town with flowering hanging baskets galore, a cute little river running through the town and quaint buildings to boot. It was a hot, sunny, afternoon, so we made the most of the weather, and strolled through the town’s streets (there are only 3 main ones).

Iz enjoyed our walk along the river bank, and managed to spot a few fish. We then headed up the hill to our B and B around 3 o’clock and got to pick our room…we’ll take the one with the patio thanks. As we were pulling our suitcase out of the car, the other travellers showed up,
Driving FoodDriving FoodDriving Food

They don't have Freckles here!
and we decided to meet back at 6:45pm to head into town for a bite to eat.

We were looking forward to a quick nap, and made sure the alarm was set. At 6:45pm we knocked on KB’s door, but Ryan had only just nodded off. Instead, we decided to meet at Matt Malloy’s for a meal, and then listen to some Irish Pub music.

Iz and I strolled back into town, only to find that Malloy’s didn’t do dinner - so after a quick look around, and bumping into Ryan and KB, we made our way around town, before choosing another pub to eat at. The oldies (us) were feeling a bit tired still, so we piked, and headed back for bed, but the young ones rocked on at one of the pub’s along with the town’s musicians, until at least midnight.

It was a bit disappointing hearing that the second wind was worth waiting for - but we were glad they had been able to get amongst the traditional music scene that is so alive in these little towns. Oh well, we’ll just have to try the next town for some Irish music and a few drinks 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 16; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb