Friday, August 8


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Leitrim
August 8th 2008
Published: August 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Kelly In MohillKelly In MohillKelly In Mohill

This is a statue of Turlough O'Carolan, a blind harpist considered by many to be Ireland's National Composer. The harp is a beloved symbol of Irish heritage and culture, especially since the harp survived the British attempts to exterminate it altogether. Disclaimer: We doubt he ever actually strangled anyone...until today.
Friday was another slower-paced day in anticipation of our busy Saturday. We head out early tomorrow morning toward Dublin with as many as four stops along the way to see and experience a few more stellar Irish sights.

We decided to head back into deep O'Rourke country today to find one or two things we overlooked when we visited earlier in the week. We learned that just across the River Bonet (pronounced "Bonnet") from the ruins of the Breffni castle in Dormahair lies the Creevelea Abbey. Founded in 1508 by Margaret O'Brien, the wife of Owen O'Rourke, this served as the family chapel for the O'Rourkes of Breffni. It was the last Franciscan friary to be built before the suppression of the monasteries by English king Henry VIII in the middle of the 16th century.

Like many of the O'Rourke sites we have visited in our time here, it is an Irish national monument. Nearby are the ruins of what is believed to be a fifth century church founded by St. Patrick himself. Within the main chapel structure of the friary are the graves of the great Irish noble, Hugh O'Rourke and his wife, Catherine McTernan (see photo). This
Creevelea AbbeyCreevelea AbbeyCreevelea Abbey

The family chapel of the O'Rourkes of the kingdom of Breffni
was an amazing place in a beautiful, serene setting overlooking the River Bonet.

After touring this beautiful site, we headed back to Lough Gill to the area of the other O'Rourke castle (the one now known as "Parke's Castle"). Our goal was to find a way to get out to a small island just a short distance off the north bank of the lake called Church Island. It is so named because of the ruins of a very old church building that still exist. We cruised by during our boat tour on the Rose Of Innisfree earlier in the week, and it looks like a lovely little place. The church there was used by the O'Rourke chieftains as a place to safely store all the family records. Unfortunately for all the O'Rourke descendants, a fire destroyed much of the structure and many of the records inside. Anyhow, we did find out that the captain of the Rose Of Innisfree takes groups out there from time to time for camp-outs. Needless to say this will be on our list of things to do next time we're in these parts.

In other interesting news, we found out there is a
Gaelic Football PitchGaelic Football PitchGaelic Football Pitch

Looking out one of the windows from Creevlea Abbey across the River Bonet to the Dromahaire Gaelic Football pitch.
DNA project based in County Leitrim that can establish from which line of the O'Rourkes one descended. Ryan will be participating in that study in the near future. It will be fascinating to know his precise lineage to learn about family members in centuries past as well as those still living in this area.

Well, we'd better be turning in for the evening now...big day tomorrow. Seamus McCabe paid us a visit from up the road earlier this evening and said, "To bed early this evening." Who are we to turn down advice from an Irish sage with 88 years of experience? We're hoping our hotel in Dublin has free internet access, but if not, our next blog entry will be after we are back home in the states. So in either case, we thank you again for taking an interest in our adventures here in the Kingdom Of Breffni, home of the mighty O'Rourke clan!

-- Ryan & Kelly


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Ryan @ Creevelea AbbeyRyan @ Creevelea Abbey
Ryan @ Creevelea Abbey

Standing at the family chapel where his descendants stood several hundred years ago.
St. Francis CarvingSt. Francis Carving
St. Francis Carving

This carving on one of the pillars around the cloister shows St. Francis standing at a pulpit in the trees preaching to the birds. Amazingly detailed stuff for being carved exactly 500 years ago.


11th February 2011

O'Rourke DNA project
Ryan, Great blog! I've been to Dromahair and Creevalea Abbey as well...great spot. I'm very interested in learning more about the DNA project. Can you send me more information about it? Thanks, Tim O'Rourke

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb