Wednesday, August 6


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Leitrim
August 6th 2008
Published: August 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


After four straight days of touring at break-neck pace, we decided it was wise to take it a bit easier for one day. Wednesday was deemed the day to take a more leisurely pace.

We slept in to a very Irish-like 9:00 a.m. We lounged around the cottage past lunchtime, then headed out to Drumshanbo for some horseback riding! Kelly had a horse named Caesar (who she named "Little Caesar" because of his smaller size), and Ryan had Rusty, a big, strong and more insubordinate beast. Both were just as pretty as can be. After 30-minutes of instruction on the English-style riding, we went out for a 30-minute walk in the countryside. A great experience. This was Ryan's first time on horseback, unless you count the time he was entered into a pageant when he was about six years old. He won, thus making him two-for-two in his pageant career.

Anyhow, where were we? Ah, yes...after the horseback riding, we made an unsuccessful attempt to visit Boyle Abbey. They closed before we got there, but from what we could see outside the gates, it looks to be a very worthwhile visit. Perhaps we'll get back there before we head
Equestrian ExpertsEquestrian ExpertsEquestrian Experts

Ryan on Rusty and Kelly on "Little" Caesar
back to Dublin.

While strolling down the farm road here this evening, we met Seamus McCabe, the father of the man who runs the cottage. He's 88 years old, and just what you'd picture an old Irishman to be. He invited us in to his house for a rest and a chat. He told us this land has been in his family four at least five generations, and probably more. The house he lives in is at least 200 years old. He said he knows all the Roarks and O'Rourkes that live in the area (which are many), and he said he's never known one that wasn't a "big strong lad." Seamus is a perfect example of the hospitality of the Irish people.

Since this was such a comparatively uneventful day, we thought we'd share a couple things we left out from previous days:

1) We've been driving around in a Vauxhall Astra diesel that has been getting right at 47 miles-per-gallon. This helps with the fuel costs, which we have calculated at $8.14 per gallon!!

2) Three nights ago, we stopped along our route home for a quick dinner in Carrick-On-Shannon. In a surreal scene, we were eating American food (burgers & fries) served by Russians in an Italian restaurant located in Ireland!! We thought we had slipped into the Twilight Zone there for a moment.

Advertisement



8th August 2008

Hi kids Sorry for not commenting earlier. You have done a great job of documenting your trip and sharing it will all of us less fortunate types. We are really so happy that you are having this experience and can't wait to talk with you when you get back. Love you!
8th August 2008

Hey, Dad!
Great to hear from you...love you! -- Kelly

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb