Dublin Adventures


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
May 19th 2014
Published: May 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

St. Patrick's CathedralSt. Patrick's CathedralSt. Patrick's Cathedral

Check out the beautiful flooring and stained glass!
Hello from Dublin!



After a beautiful scenic drive through the countryside and touring a monastery, our group arrived in Dublin, Ireland's capital city. It was quite the change from Galway, which was a little more slow paced (and still the most lovely place I've ever been to).

The hustle and bustle of the city reminded me of New York City, but without the skyscrapers and smog. The air is still infinitely purer and cleaner here, even in such a big city.

Our hostel is a restored Townhouse located right in the middle of the city's action. The antique/decorating enthusiast inside me has been reeling ever since I laid eyes on the character and charm of its antique chandeliers, arched doorways, and gardens. Anyway.



Since we've arrived, we have had the chance to explore the nightlife of downtown Dublin, which has been such a fun and exciting experience. It is a city that never seems to sleep. I've also learned I really need to pick up the French language (it's a long story). We have taken advantage of the Supermac's (kind of like a Steak-n-Shake) 24/7 hours operation. The people here are so warm
GuinnessGuinnessGuinness

Friends and I outside the brewery...we do a lot of studying on this study abroad trip.
and friendly - and know how to have a great time!



Today we took a historic bus tour and walked around St. Patrick's Cathedral (get excited, dad). We also toured Trinity College, one of the oldest colleges in Ireland (and one of the prettiest).

Probably the highlight of Dublin was touring the Guinness Brewery and lounging in the top floor Gravity Bar. I never knew so much history and work was put into making the brand's famous stout - and that taking a tour to learn about the process could be so fun!



Tomorrow we leave for Belfast, a city in Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland is separated from Ireland by the fact it is part of the United Kingdom (a lot of rebellions, negotiations, and history go into that, but my history nerd self will spare you). It also uses Pounds for currency, which has an even higher exchange rate than Euros to U.S. dollars - as if I needed any help spending more money than I should.



I'm currently relaxing in our room, listening to the cars rush by and the people walk home from the pubs (yes, they even go out on Sundays here) and about to pass out from another long day of walking and exploring. Irish breakfast tea will be my saving grace tomorrow morning.

Advertisement



19th May 2014

Dublin and St. Patricks Cathedral
Wow Faith that is a beautiful cathedral behind you. You look like you belong in Ireland, could be one of the natives for sure! Must be the "Corrigan" side of you which you inherited from of course, me your Mother! Love your descriptions of this country and that you are enjoying this so much.....makes you being our tour guide so much easier in the future! Love, Mom
19th May 2014

Your Trip
Hi Faith, we all wish we were with you, and for a little of your own history, the uprising of 1916 is the reason you are a United States citizen today. I will give you a little history lesson when you get home. Meanwhile take care, have a wonderful time, and when you get to England try not to eat their food!!

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb